Blood Work Values -- Any Thoughts?

Guest DoofBert

Guest DoofBert

Bacchus had a CBC done the other day -- we'll be checking with vet later today, but some the values concern me...

Any thoughts from you folks?

ALB 4.2

ALP 14 (low on the scale)

ALT 47

AMY did not register

TBIL .2

BUN 17

CA++ 10.9

PHOS 3.9

CRE 1.5 high normal for a greyhound

GLU 105

NA+ 140

K+ 4.2

TP 6.4

GLOB 2.2 low normal

GC ok

HEM 2+

What questions would you pose to vet this afternoon? What other tests would be indicated?

Bacchus started Metacamm yesterday and is already running around the house with spring in his step.

Thanks,

Jayne

Guest DoofBert

None of what you listed is used for a guideline for starting a NSAID.

What is his RBC, HCT, WBC & PLT?

Intersting.. let me check.. perhaps I'm missing page two of the bloodwork.

Guest cyndiandsaoirse

Not sure why you had the BW done- or the age of your grey. But, just info from my experience. Greys have numbers that are considered abnormal for other dogs, but normal for them. Good to look at info here about how to read BW for greys. Example, my Saoirse who is now 12 has high CRE and BUN and low thyroid since I got her 9 1/2 years ago. Every vet we've seen thinks she's in early kidney failure until I show them all her BW history and the interpretation for greys. She's fine, she's just getting old. So, do some research. I think if you go to the information section here, there is a link to how to interpret the BW and what everything means.

Good luck!

Guest BiancasMom

It is always a good idea to check liver and kidney funtion (BUN, CREAT, ALT, ALP) before starting an NSAID. Plus, you have a baseline to compare to down the line. I'm glad your grey is doing better on the Metacam!

Guest DoofBert

I was corrected.. we did not have CBC, we only had a vetscan....bloodwork series,

Yes, this is baseline to have now that he is on the NSAID. I understand from the vet tech that the AMY value is erroneous....something about the test protocol.

That is bizzare. Platelets are imparative and is what you should check in addition to liver & kidney function.

Remember, Eliza went into IMHA from rimadyl (and she had baseline blood work). Our mistake was not rechecking in two weeks. Many vets here have changed their protocol due to her death.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits