Limping Question?

Hi everyone-

Our new guy Bernie displayed some odd behaviors this morning, and I'm not sure whether I should be concerned or just skeptical.

We took a 10 minute walk this morning as usual. During his walk, he wanted to make some snow yellow. He raised his left back leg a little, marked, and then we continued the walk. After marking until we reached the end of the sidewalk, though (maybe 50 feet?) he limped a little. I figured that maybe he stepped on something in the snow that hurt his foot. For the last few minutes of the walk, he trotted around just fine - like normal.

Back home, I let him out in the backyard. When he wanted to come back inside, I saw him standing at the doorway on three legs - holding up his left back leg off the ground. This was the same leg that he lifted to mark on the walk, right before he started the limping this morning.

I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary on that leg or foot.

He's my first Greyhound and first dog, so I'm not sure what to think. Any feedback is appreciated! :)

Lauren the Human, along with Justin the Human, Kay the Cat and Bernie the Greyhound! (Registered Barney Koppe, 10/30/2006)

Bernie-signature-400.jpg

I know you'll get some advice from those far more experienced than me. But just a thought - my Maggie hates to get stuff caught between her toes or deep in the grooves around the pads. And because it's such a deep area, lots can get stuck - acorn, monkey ball, snow, ice ball, etc. Hoping it's just something like that.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

Guest cyndiandsaoirse

Definitely check paws/pads, and does he let you touch the leg from foot to hock, move it gently, etc. If you don't see any obvious injury, and he is not sensitive about it, and he's young (under 8), I would just monitor it for a few days. If it doesn't go away, or gets worse, then take him to the vet. Sometimes greys will step funny and have some discomfort, but it goes away- just like humans. My Saoirse does this a lot, so I have to judge how long does it last, how much is she favoring it, etc. before I make the vet call.

If he's an older dog, I would be more quick to go to the vet, because this could indicate underlying problems.

You have to use your common sense, you know your dog, you can tell if he's uncomfortable. When in doubt, go to the vet. Good luck!

They will limp and hold a paw up if it gets cold from the snow, or gets some salt in it. If you brush off/rub the paw for a few seconds and then they're fine, that's all it was.

(By the way, Lauren, did you see my post on your Bernie's Thanksgiving thread? Bernie and Beth are half-siblings from the same mom!! -- this is rare to find. They look spookily similar in the face too. I've watched Bernie win a race and posted a track picture of him from Dubuque on that thread and would really love to talk with you "off list.")

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Did he race? If he did, he may have sustained an injury that is causing him some discomfort in the cold.

His age and medical history could influence your next step if it doesn't resolve on its own. If it were my dog, I would x-ray if it didn't go away in a few days or if it appeared to be worsening, but I tend to pull the trigger early because limping scares the heck out of me.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

As others have suggested, completely check his feet, look for corns (not always easy to see) and feel carefully up and down his leg from his toes to his hips (palpitate all areas). Check/feel for any swelling by comparing with his other leg. Sometimes they are hurting in the hip area and limping. It could be an old racing injury flaring up in the cold like Linda stated. If there is pain in the hip area, then an x-ray might be your next step.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Let's not get all worst-case-scenario here. This is her first dog, and he's walking in the season's first snow. I too freaked out when Beth (also my first dog) started limping in the snow (actually on some pavement salt) and holding up a foot the first winter I had her, but it's really only cold or ouchy feet! She's started doing it again since we got snow and very cold temps the last few days.

Lauren, if this is what it seems to be you might want to look into Pawz disposable dog booties -- pretty easy to use and they help.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

I'm guessing he's cold. Naples does this all the time. At 11 years old, you'd think she'd have figured out that if she goes out, does business, and hurries back in, she would not get as cold. But noooooooo... she has not figured that out...

She get's distracted all the time, "forgets" to do her business, then she'll limp to the door like we beat her.

I would certainly check all the things mentioned above. But if you find nothing, it's probably safe to assume he's cold, and that's the cause of the limping.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

I apologize that I did not mention all the specifics in my first post. Bernie is 4 years old, and he raced in 61 races. To my knowledge, he has no previous injuries.

I sure am hoping it's the cold weather. These responses make sense to me!

To PrairieProf- I must have missed your post because I would have already been talking to you! :P

Edited by Laurenbiz

Lauren the Human, along with Justin the Human, Kay the Cat and Bernie the Greyhound! (Registered Barney Koppe, 10/30/2006)

Bernie-signature-400.jpg

I, too, have dogs limping in the cold.

DesiRay (gh) has to be dragged if I take him out in the snow without boots. He's the first dog I've ever had who LOVES his boots.

Skeeter (smaller mixed breed) limps on first one & then another, or maybe just one......no other time than walking in very cold

weather. I call his "cold cramps." He just acts like his toe or ankle joints freeze/stiffen. NO limping at all as long as it's

over 25 degrees.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.