Tripod Owners - Sid Issue

Hi all. Sid has abandoned his comfy beds in favour of lying on the floor, and though he looks at them longingly, he always decides against going in. So today I took him along to the vet for a check and he found two or three sore spots along his spine. One just over and slightly behind his shoulders, which he thought might be muscular, but also one in the low thoracic/high lumbar region and one below his hips.

Adam is thinking it's probably a tripod issue, caused by the fact that he has to walk with his spine curved sideways so he can place his single hind leg underneath his body. He's thinking it's either muscular/ligament problems or maybe the extra wear and tear causing a bit of spondylitis.

Could other owners of middle-aged rear leg tripods give me some input? Have you had similar issues, and if so, what did it turn out to be? And are there any questions I should be asking when I pick Sid up tomorrow?

He's talking about hydrotherapy for Sid anyway, whichever the dx is. So that's already on the cards and about to be booked. :)

I also use a wheat bag to warm over the shoulders and the base of the neck because I know he gets knotted muscles there - I can feel them like a hump. It all relaxes nicely with the heat, but of course, after he's been on his feet a while, it'll come back.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest IrskasMom

I can't help you either . I would agree with Adam but I don't really know any Fact's . Charlie's Dad Would know more about it . Hopefully he see's this Thread.Sorry. :)

No help/experience, but still bumping for Sid. Poor guy!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

My boy Charlie is a tripod and just turned 8. To date, we have not had any issues that you are describing however Charlie has only been a tripod for almost 6 months. We do give him Glucosamine at mealtimes and I have noticed his posture is off just because he has to have his back foot turn inwards to balance himself but no sores or pain yet. How long has Sid been a tripod?

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest multigrey

Just saw this....I have three rear tripods here with me and I do not have any issue like what you describe. Both Jerry and Luke (he's been three legged for the shortest period of time) can jump up on my bed or use any bed or couch they want. Phoebe never liked my bed but will use any of the dog beds or couches that might be available. My other tripod is missing a front leg which makes it harder for her to get around but a lot easier for her to jump!

I hope the xrays show something that you will be able to treat. He also may just be one of those boys whose body will take more time to adjust.

Send him hugs from all the tripods at Grey Haven!

Guest bigorangedog

I've had 2 front-leg tripawds, but both of them always laid on the comfy beds. (One would only lie in the big beanbag chair.)

However, we actually lost Apollo not to cancer, but to back pain that we could not get under control. One thing that did help him was massage. See if you can find a pet massage therapist in your area.

One thing I would NOT suggest is chiropractic. They need to twist their spines in order to walk as a tripawd. Their bodies need to adjust to that. When we took Apollo to the chiro, she put his spine back the way it was supposed to be, and he could barely walk for days.

Hoping that you are NOT seeing spinal mets, and that you can help your boy get comfy!!

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I've had 3 tripods here; 2 missing front legs and 1 missing his hind. Unfortunately, the hind leg amputee, Alex, developed mets soon after amputation and we didn't have him long. My long term front leg amputee, Morgan, later developed LS. He started avoiding beds because they were too difficult for him to maneuver on. We got 2 ortho beds. One was 4" and the other 2" thick. He really took to the 2" one. And FYI - Morgan also had some neck issues but they had started before his amputation.

Thanks, everyone for your input!

Sid is home, and his spine is clean, which is good news!

His stifle (knee) is also in great shape, but unfortunately he does have some arthritis in his hip, and there is a degree of 'squaring' of the femoral head. So we will need to adjust his walking schedule and keep a close eye on that. Could be worse, but not great news. :(

My boy Charlie is a tripod and just turned 8. To date, we have not had any issues that you are describing however Charlie has only been a tripod for almost 6 months. We do give him Glucosamine at mealtimes and I have noticed his posture is off just because he has to have his back foot turn inwards to balance himself but no sores or pain yet. How long has Sid been a tripod?

Sid has been a tripod for three years. He was fine with comfy beds until recently, however when he lived with his trainer (in her house as a pet) he often used to lie on the hard floor - she had thought it was because the other dogs took all the good beds, but maybe not. :dunno

He has Cosequin DS, and has done since we got him. He turns his foot inward, just as you describe! I think they need to do that in order to get the leg underneath them.

Just saw this....I have three rear tripods here with me and I do not have any issue like what you describe. Both Jerry and Luke (he's been three legged for the shortest period of time) can jump up on my bed or use any bed or couch they want. Phoebe never liked my bed but will use any of the dog beds or couches that might be available. My other tripod is missing a front leg which makes it harder for her to get around but a lot easier for her to jump!

I hope the xrays show something that you will be able to treat. He also may just be one of those boys whose body will take more time to adjust.

Send him hugs from all the tripods at Grey Haven!

Thanks! I doubt he has any more adjusting to do, but maybe having been a tripod for three years, the wear and tear on the joints from the compensation is beginning to take its toll.

One thing I would NOT suggest is chiropractic. They need to twist their spines in order to walk as a tripawd. Their bodies need to adjust to that. When we took Apollo to the chiro, she put his spine back the way it was supposed to be, and he could barely walk for days.

Hoping that you are NOT seeing spinal mets, and that you can help your boy get comfy!!

No spine mets - he is a tripod by accident, not from cancer, I am grateful to be able to say.

I am very glad you mentioned that about the chiropractic, because I left the vets with a chiropractor's number to get him an appointment. Now, I'm not so sure I want to go that route. :( The alternative is hydrotherapy, and I'll definitely look into that for him. Maybe acupuncture too.

Thanks for the input - especially on the chiro. Poor Apollo!

I've had 3 tripods here; 2 missing front legs and 1 missing his hind. Unfortunately, the hind leg amputee, Alex, developed mets soon after amputation and we didn't have him long. My long term front leg amputee, Morgan, later developed LS. He started avoiding beds because they were too difficult for him to maneuver on. We got 2 ortho beds. One was 4" and the other 2" thick. He really took to the 2" one. And FYI - Morgan also had some neck issues but they had started before his amputation.

Thanks for that, too. I've been wondering if it's time to get him a memory foam bed and it sounds as if it might be. He has a 2" thick foam bed with Vet bedding on top and he does use that one, but the sheepskin rug remains his favourite. I'm so sorry about Alex. :(

Whether it's because he doesn't want to hop in, or what, I want to provide him with the bed he needs and wants. If only they could talk, huh?

Guest multigrey

Jerry Murray would be glad to loan his memory foam bed to Sid to try out. Wanna stop by and pick it up? :lol

None of my 4 are cancer dogs either.....and I can tell each one by the sound of their gait on the hard floor. But when they run, no one would believe they are on three not four legs!

We did do acupuncture with Luke for a while but we were trying to compensate for all the meds he takes for his seizures and give him more strength in his back end.

I guess we all have things to adjust to, right?

You are the people who have Jerry Murray? :wub: He's a great dog, isn't he?

Yes, I'm sure Sid would love to borrow his bed, but it is maybe a tad far to come! :lol

He was very whingey when he came home and his stomach was making horrible noises. I'm thinking he was maybe hungry and now that he's eaten a small dinner he'll settle down a bit. I hope so. He was very disoriented. He isn't happy unless I'm sitting on the floor hugging him! :rolleyes:

Acupuncture worked very well for Jim, and Jack tolerated it well, for such a twitchy, nervous little soul, but we didn't have him long enough to find out if it was working long term. I might try it again with Sid. I do know of a practice an hour away which does it.

Sid is still very whiney today. :(

He's eaten, drunk, been out for a walk (which he enjoyed and trotted along pretty jauntily), peed and pooped, eaten treats .. but he will just stand in the middle of the room and whine pathetically.

He does love it if I lie down on the floor with him, but I can't do that all day! :rolleyes::lol