Looking For Recipes For Treats For My Hounds

Guest avadogner

Guest avadogner

Hi Greytalk Friends,

I found the cutest greyhound shaped and various dog themed shaped cookie cutters and now I am determined to make some home made treats for my houndies. I still have 8 cans of pumpkin from Ava's food strike (see previous threads) so a recipe to use it up would be great. I made 4 pumpkin pies at Thanksgiving so I put a dent in the 12 cans I bought. I appreciate any recipes y'all are willing to share!

Thanks and Happy Holidays,

ava and augie's mum

I found the easiest and best recipe on the Epi dog site - it isn't pretty, but they love it and our vet even approves it for our seizure boy :)

1 c pumpkin

3 eggs and shells ground

1 cup meat ( I use browned beef liver cubed up)

approx. 2 cups old fashioned oats

I use a hand held blender to mix pumpkin and eggs and shells then add most of the liver to blend it in. I reserve a few chunks to add for yummy chunkiness. Pat into 10x12 pan, score before baking and bake at 300 for 25 minutes. I allow it to cool in the oven and finish drying out. Store in fridge.

If my boy wasn't on such a restricted diet I might try adding a bit of peanut butter and varying the meat with maybe sardines or chicken livers from time to time. Good luck :)

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

i used to have some good recipes, but lost them when I moved. Funny thing about them thoug, Davis didn't like Mom's treats! I took them in to work and gave them to my friends with dogs, and their dogs loved them. 'Davis cookie' was a sure way for one friend to get her dog to be good! I had to put peanut butter on them to get Davis to even eat them, and they were made with peanut butter and pumpkin!

Rebecca and Manny

I use this recipe a lot:

4 cups whole wheat flour (or rice, potato, soy if your dog is grain intolerant)

2 cups of oatmeal(not that instant stuff)

1 to 1 1/2 cups of peanutbutter

1 1/2 cups hot wanter (add last) add slight bit more if needeed

knead well

roll out on flour boaard

this a very forgiving dough(my grandchildren love to do this,,)

this makes a BUNCH of cookies,,,, you can half this)

we make these an sell them for our local humane society :)

Guest Greytluv

I got this recipe from here. My dogs love them and they're so easy. I don't roll out, I use a meatball scoop and make little balls.

Cheesy Dog Bones

1 cup whole wheat flour

1 cup shredded cheese (any flavor or mix)

1/2 cup milk

1 tablespoon butter

Extra flour for dusting

Mix everything, roll out to half inch thick, cut into whatever shape you want( I often use a pizza cutter and it quickly cuts into squares/rectangles) and bake in a 350 degree oven for 20-30 mins depending on size/thickness. Let cool and after a couple days store in fridge or freezer to keep fresh.

Ok, I don't have any dog pumpkin recipes, but here is a non-pumpkin one for the furkids and a pumpkin one for you. :D

This is the simplest dog cookie recipe I've tried and they love it, the whole house smells like peanut butter when the cookies bake:

Peanut Butter Biscuits

1 cup unsweetened natural peanut butter (they have it at my bulk food store, it's inexpensive there too)

1 cup milk (I used 1% since that's what we drink, but you can use 2%, whole, or even water if your dog is lactose intolerant)

2 cups flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

Heat oven to 375 degrees F.

Mix together peanut butter and milk until smooth.

Mix baking powder and flour together, then gradually add to the peanut butter mixture.

Knead until dough is smooth.

Roll out to 1/4" think and cut with cookie cutters, or even into plain rectangles/strips. Smaller bits would be great for training treats.

Place on a GREASED cookie sheet or use parchment paper to avoid sticking (I do the parchment paper and it works very well) and bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown.

Baked exactly as the recipe directs, the biscuits are a bit soft. If you like them crunchy you can roll it a bit thinner and/or bake a bit longer. It makes 2 full cookie sheets for me. I store them in tupperware till they're gone.

And here is the human recipe (I normally divide by 1 and make one loaf since the leftover pumpkin freezes well, but you can do the full recipe, you can also freeze the loaves after baking). These are a bit hit when I give them to others, esp. at holiday time.

Chocolate Pumpkin Bread

3 1/2 cups of sugar

1 1/4 cups of veg oil

3 eggs

1 can (29oz) solid pack pumpkin

3 squares 1oz each of unsweetened choc, melted and cooled

1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

3 3/4 cups of all-purpose flour

1 1/2 tsps salt

1 1/2 tsps baking soda

1 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

1 tsp ground cloves

1/2 tsp nutmeg

2 cups of semi'sweet choc.chips

In a large bowl mix sugar and oil mix well. Add eggs, stir in the pumpkin, chocolate, and vanilla. Mix well.

Combine the dry ingredients; stir in to pumpkin mixture until just blended.

Stir in chips. Transfer to 3 greased loaf pans. Bake at 350 for about 50-60 mins (often takes longer).

Let sit 10 mins before transferring to a wire wrack , wrap extra loaves and freeze up to 3 months.

Makes 3 loaves or 10 mini loaves.

Hello-

http://www.dog-treat-recipe-exchange.com/dog_birthday_cake_recipes.html

I made these cupcakes for Bernie for his birthday! I changed up the recipe a little, though. I used yogurt as the icing, and I used shredded carrots and kibble as 'sprinkles' on top.

He LOVED it, too. Each cupcake took about 20 seconds to gobble down :lol

Lauren the Human, along with Justin the Human, Kay the Cat and Bernie the Greyhound! (Registered Barney Koppe, 10/30/2006)

Bernie-signature-400.jpg