Why Does Augie Stink?

Guest avadogner

Guest HHHounds

It is a warm fall here in Birmingham - I love it!!! We have had 5 greys all with different coats and skin types but I have not had a stinky one. I bath them about 2 times a year. We also used Salmon food and oil supplements when we had a grey with severe skin and allergy issues and it just made their breath fishy - no skin odor. Best of luck as you figure out what is going on with Augie!

Guest bluefawn

I would, of course, listen to the vet :) But when Penny is starting to have a little flakiness and is blowing her coat, I put her in the tub but do not use any dog shampoo, just warm water and the rubber curry comb brush and gently massage her all over with that. The dead hair comes out without taking the essential skin oils with it. Also I had not had a dental done on her in about 2 years, and her teeth were pretty nasty (job loss, went back to tech college, working PT to extend unemployment benefits, etc., etc.,) - that is a pretty horrible smell, but it was only in her head/face area. Sounds like Augie has more going on than the teeth being the culprit. Would the full anal glands make him smell all over? I never heard of that in the greys, only in some other dogs. I hope you can find out what it is soon.

I don't know what SIBO stands for either (do I?)

Anyway, I adopted a 9 yr old male hound in March. When the foster parent brought him to my house for a home visit, the dog's stink lingered in my house for about three hours after he was gone. It was awful. I've never smelled anything quite like it and can't even think of a good comparion. He just stunk up the place! Maybe it was indeed butt juice??! :sick

The foster home was filthy and so was the dog (he had been in foster for the better part of a year). Honestly, he smelled so bad it made my eyes water. But he was a sweet boy and I adopted him. On the way home from picking him up I made a beeline for the do-it-yourself dog wash. His coat was absolutely greasy and grimy.

But he still stunk subsequently and needed a trip to vet to unload his overflowing anal glands. Also his ears were full of gunk.

All that helped tremendously. Good nutrition, two more baths, a second anal gland expression -- goodbye stinky odor!

Also, might I add that my angel hound had a number of staph infections but he never had an unusual odor like that???

Good luck!!! Hope you're able to successfully de-stink Augie! :lol:

SIBO=small intestinal bactireal overload. Your vet can do a free consult with Tx A & M on this. B12 ( straight B12) shots grain free diet & antibotics will help with this. Don't let them say it's nothing becasue it can get very nasty & yes it smells! Does he do"wet stinky burps"? or snack on poop?

SIBO=small intestinal bactireal overload. Your vet can do a free consult with Tx A & M on this. B12 ( straight B12) shots grain free diet & antibotics will help with this. Don't let them say it's nothing becasue it can get very nasty & yes it smells! Does he do"wet stinky burps"? or snack on poop?

Oh good to know! Actually, although he doesn't stink so much, a few weeks ago I did catch my boy eating poo for the first time. He also had what we thought was a bout of pancreatis but perhaps not? I am pretty mindful of diet and trying to go grain-free when possible. I think he is simply one of those dogs with a rather sensitive gut as my other two hounds don't seem to have the same problem(s). Thanks for the info!