What Would You Do

SAVED2

Regardless of the medical issues, your pups depend on you for everything. While a Vet can provide advice about their physical issues that may force a decision, it sounds as if your struggle is with their quality of life. In another thread sometime ago, someone suggested making a list of the things particular to that dog, going back to their introduction into your home, and list all of the things they have done that make them who they are both as individuals and in your case, as a bonded pair. When you are satisfied that you have captured all of their life experiences, habits and joys, go back over the list and see how many they still enjoy. That may help with your decision.

I made that decision based on something I read here on GT: ".............better a day too soon than an hour too late." It's all about the dogs. You know them better than anyone. Regardless of your decision, you have genuine support here. Do what you feel needs to be done and we will be here to help you pick up the pieces.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest greygirls2

I agree that there is no right or wrong answer to this heartbreaking decision concerning your two precious babies. I can't even begin to imagine what you are going through but I just wanted to add my thoughts and prayers to all the others flowing out to you. Though you may feel very alone I think you are being held in the hearts of many. :grouphug

I am so sorry you are going through this. It is a very hard decision. You know your pups best and I am sure know when quality of life isn't there for either of them. I know you are seeking advice but it is so hard to lose one but both...that is brutal.

Yes, this was my first thought too. It is brutal. It was brutal for me to lose two five weeks apart, but I have to say that we both agree that Jack didn't really want to go on after Renie left. He seemed to be coping just fine, but there's no doubt he was lonely. I didn't have the choice to face that you do, because he was relatively healthy when Renie left us so suddenly, but ... well, he just lost his spark. Maybe if he'd lived long enough he'd have recovered, because if he'd lived long enough we'd have got another dog and he basically had a very happy, philosophical temperament, but he was thirteen and a half years old.

But that's what your question is about, isn't it? Neither of your dogs is very well, and neither is very young. You must follow your heart, and take your vet's advice, and listen to what your dogs are 'saying' to you.

I don't envy you the decision you have to make. :cry1

I would probably not euthanize two pets together. I want to hold my dog and say my goodbyes individually. I'm not sure I'd have the energy or strength to make the same drive/visit twice in the SAME day. If I had two dogs nearing the end and I was making quality of life decisions, I'd probably opt to make the trip on two separate days if possible. Our dogs are all cremated, but burying them together sounds lovely.

I agree with this, too. But if you could have the vet come to your house it might work. Even so, I think I might leave it a few days and see how the other one is. You might be surprised.

:bighug

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest FordRacingRon

I have never had to face this yet in my life, Leia is my first dog so I have no experience to draw from. But my logical mind and my heart says you do what is right for your dogs, not what feels right for you, but what is right for your dogs. YOu know your dogs, you know thier hearts and minds after so many years, you do what is best for them.

My heart breaks for you and any of us that have to make this choice but I am afraid we almost always have to make these choices. I feel we are put here to protect and defend His creaatures and do what is best for them.

I've done it and it's very, very hard. SieSie & Shadow left on the same day, within seconds of each other. They were both very ill and I saw no point of prolonging because of the extent of their illnesses. I will say that given the exact same circumstances I would do it again if needed.

:grouphug

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Sending you prayers of strength and the ability to continue to do what you think is the right thing, you have, after all, been doing it for a very long time and they know you love them.