Chilly Dogs?

Guest Nuthatch

Hi, Blankdog! I know what you mean about the bald little thighs, LOL! I've seen some incredibly bald thighs this summer and I wonder about those dogs in the winter. As to the coat... I have a coat with a thick fleece lining and a wind/water resistant exterior. If it's deep cold, there is a matching fleece 4-legged "jogging suit" that I can layer underneath it. I got my snood from a company called Chilly Dogs. They also have nice coats and raincoats. I have their rain slicker, the chilly sweater and the head muff (snood). I got my winter patch coat and jogging suit mentioned above from Dog-E-Designs, however, I find the fit of the Chilly Dog products better for Summer's figure.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest cwholsin

I've noticed that our hound (fair skinned) is a nice shade of pink when he's warm and his skin is lighter when he's cold. When he gets really warm, his skin is bright bright pink! He's a mood ring!!!!

Yep, ears and feet feel cold to the touch when they are uncomfortably chilly, and yes, they will curl up in a tight ball.

TinyballJimcopy.jpg

Wow! That's one heck of a tight ball! I guess Summer hasn't been truly cold yet. She'll curl a bit and bury her nose but nowhere near that tight. And after a bit of that, she'll unfold and stretch out. So I'm guessing it's just one of her sleep positions and has nothing to do with temperature.

Possibly! Our Jim used to lie flat out or half curled most of the time, except when he was truly cold. As he got older we found we had to buy him jammies for the really cold times, and he had a wonderful Equafleece jumper for going out walking. As a younger dog he never needed or wanted a coat, except for a light raincoat, but they do sometimes feel the cold more as oldies. Equafleece was perfect for him - and I've never seen anything wear so well! We bought that jumper in the nineties and it still looks pretty much like new, despite all those trips through the washing machine.

He used to sleep in it sometimes, too. :wub:

My question is: Do their feet freeze when out on walks? I'm more worried about when the snowy weather gets here. My other dog is a husky mix so naturally I never have to worry about him getting cold. I have several winter coats for her when we go on our walks in the snow but I worry about her legs and feet. Does she need to wear little booties? Do I need to knit her some leg warmers? This will be my first winter with her so i'm a little clueless!

If you live somewhere where the snow crusts over on the top, then booties are a good idea to prevent cuts as their feet plunge through the ice. In time they do get used to them - try putting them on for short periods indoors first, and give her a treat to take her mind off her feet. Sid has to wear rubber boots when he goes visiting at the hospital (he's a therapy dog) because of the floor, and while he gives me the stink eye when I put them on, he walks beautifully in them, and accepts that the floor is not slippy when he's wearing them.

In my experience, the only dogs to need leg warmers might be the golden oldies with circulation problems, or severe arthritis. Otherwise, a good winter coat is fine. Again, if you live somewhere where temperatures drop waaay below zero, you might consider a coat with legs, but for most areas and most greys it's not necessary.

I have no intention of buying boots for Summer. I don't think her feet and legs are particularly different from my previous non-grey, although they are most definitely much longer. But that said, she won't be walked on salt. If I was walking her on salted surfaces, I would definitely get boots. Not because she's a greyhound but because walking on salt is awful for a dog.

I have a pair of boots that I tried to use on my other dog, Pepper. When we first got snow last winter his poor paws started bleeding from all the ice that would get stuck in his pads! He wouldn't have anything to do with the boots though so I have yet to really use them. I might try it with Violet this winter, if she'll put up with them. We do have a lot of people putting salt on their sidewalks so I always make sure to check paws before coming inside on our walks.

For salt on the sidewalks, rinsing paws when they come in should do the trick. You can buy something called a Paw Plungerif you have multiple dogs. :)

As to the coat... I have a coat with a thick fleece lining and a wind/water resistant exterior. If it's deep cold, there is a matching fleece 4-legged "jogging suit" that I can layer underneath it. I got my snood from a company called Chilly Dogs. They also have nice coats and raincoats. I have their rain slicker, the chilly sweater and the head muff (snood). I got my winter patch coat and jogging suit mentioned above from Dog-E-Designs, however, I find the fit of the Chilly Dog products better for Summer's figure.

I second the vote for Chilly Dogs. Sid has one of their coats and it's the best coat we've ever had. Perfectly fits Sid's shape, and copes with his being a rear leg tripod without falling off one side. The belly flap on these coats is great for dogs who get colder than most, and I love the stretchy fleece front part and integral snood. Two thumbs up here!

The only downside is that I couldn't pick my own colour choice, for some reason. We ended up with a blue instead of the red one I wanted and it still irks me.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest blankdog

Thanks to Silverfish and OwnedbySummer!!

I'm definately getting Violet a coat from Chilly dogs! Hopefully I can get it before the first serious snow storm of the season.

I'm thinking I may have to get her used to the booties. Our backyard faces north so half of it is always in shade at any given time of the day which means the snow never melts and quickly turns into ice. We also get a lot of water coming off the roof and freezing on the stairway down to my apartment. I'm really worried about Violet slipping and hurting a leg on the ice. Whenever she is coming in or going out to the bathroom she bolts outside so I'm afraid that she'll get going to fast. I tried the booties on her and she stomped around very slowly, I figure at least if the booties dont give her extra traction they atleast stop her from speeding out the door! If not i'll have to just leash her up and walk her out myself everytime she needs to go to the bathroom.

Its funny, I always hated seeing crazy dog owners who dressed their pets up in little outfits but now that ive got my first greyhound i've built up quite the little wardrobe for her!! :)

Besides being excellent quality, Chilly Dogs ships very quickly. They are very efficient and professional. You'll have your coat a lot faster than from anywhere else. Good choice!!!!!

Edited by OwnedBySummer

Lisa B.

I tried the booties on her and she stomped around very slowly, I figure at least if the booties dont give her extra traction they atleast stop her from speeding out the door! If not i'll have to just leash her up and walk her out myself everytime she needs to go to the bathroom.

Stomping around very slowly is actually very promising. Some dogs refuse to walk at all, at first! Renie used to lift each paw like a show pony, with a hilarious expression on her face, and then lie down after a few paces and look at us hopefully, but we at least got her used to wearing paw protectors for cut feet, and she was fine.

Leash walking her down icy steps sounds like a very sensible idea. :nod

Its funny, I always hated seeing crazy dog owners who dressed their pets up in little outfits but now that ive got my first greyhound i've built up quite the little wardrobe for her!! :)

:spoot Me too!! Me too! :lol:lol :lol

It sounds like you - at least - are in an area where you really need to. Me? My excuse (apart from the fact that with his missing leg, Sid really does feel the cold) is that Sid is a therapy dog and it makes people smile to see the fancy collars etc. ;)

Hmm, this thread brings up the question for me about indoor temps and what is "too cold" and how many have jackets on more permanently inside (it sounded like a lot of you don't).

We keep our inside temp on the cool side (about 63 degrees F in the day when we're there, 60 when we aren't, and nighttime down to 56). Monty wears his original fleece jacket nearly all the time in the winter, inside and out, and if it is excessively cold outside (below 15 F or so) we change him out to his serious winter jacket for trips outside. He hates the snood, though, and keeps shaking his head and flinching at it so we roll it down even though his ears turn to little earsicles. When he gets bouncy and playful he gets his fleece taken off and then does some zoomies in the livingroom and when his breathing slows again he gets it put back on.

Anyone else keep their hounds in fleece or jammies nearly 24/7 in winter? Anyone else keep their house as cool as we do?

This will be my first winter with Summer, so I'm not 100% sure about how everything will go. But I know she won't be habitually wearing stuff inside. The lowest I've ever kept my house is 69F (67F for sleeping). But since I've lost all my excess weight and I'm able to feel the cold once again... I've currently got it at 70F day and night (i.e. I'm not running the fancy thermostat program). I don't think I'll ever have it lower than 70F again and I don't think, at 70F, that Summer needs indoor clothing. But just in case!... she does have a pair of jersey jammies.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

Lisa B.

Hmm, this thread brings up the question for me about indoor temps and what is "too cold" and how many have jackets on more permanently inside (it sounded like a lot of you don't).

We keep our inside temp on the cool side (about 63 degrees F in the day when we're there, 60 when we aren't, and nighttime down to 56).

Anyone else keep their hounds in fleece or jammies nearly 24/7 in winter? Anyone else keep their house as cool as we do?

Our house is between 64 and 66 degrees most of the time, we put it up a degree C when it's bitter, and sometimes light a fire in the lounge in the dead of winter, but that's the average.

Sid doesn't wear a coat indoors. Dogs do adapt to their living conditions, especially if you let it creep up on them as it does naturally through autumn (fall), however, you know your own dog best, and if you feel Monty really needs to wear jammies indoors, then you'd do better to just pop a coat over them before taking him out otherwise he'll be losing heat in the changeover and he won't be getting the full benefit. Adding one over the top means that unless the weather is at it's worst, you might need only a slightly lighter weight coat for going out, but of course, Minnesota gets horrendously cold, and that's your call. :P

And of course, if he gets the legs wet (if they have legs) you'll need to change him when you get home, but IMHO, that's a better way round to do it.

Guest blankdog

:spoot Me too!! Me too! :lol:lol :lol

It sounds like you - at least - are in an area where you really need to. Me? My excuse (apart from the fact that with his missing leg, Sid really does feel the cold) is that Sid is a therapy dog and it makes people smile to see the fancy collars etc. ;)

I definitely use the cold weather here as an excuse to dress my dog up!! I just cant help that she looks so darn cute in jackets and sweaters!

As to keeping my girl in a sweater 24/7, Its something I definitely need to do. I live in a basement apartment where I don't have control of the thermostat so it gets pretty chilly. I'm not sure what temp. its usually at but its cold enough that my husband and I have to wear hoodies and wrap ourselves up in blankets to stay warm, even while having our space heater turned on. I figure if i'm that cold, than Violets probably feeling it to. I also agree with what silverfish said about putting a jacket OVER the one you have on when you go outside instead of switching them out. Its not going to make them much warmer. Its gotten cold enough at night that Violet wears a sweater underneath a jacket now on our walks. At home, if she gets too cold she curls up in a tight little ball or will snuggle up in the bed in the other room, if she gets too hot she pants or paces around. I'd just watch your dogs body language, they'll let you know if they are too hot or too cold.

Also something was mentioned about "snoods". I was wondering if you guys use them. I found an old sweatshirt that had draw strings around the neck and waist so I put it on violet, tightened the strings and it fit wonderfully! The only problem was the sleeves were too long and she kept tripping on them. So, I cut off part of the sleeves and because they had an elastic band around the wrist I thought it would be perfect to use as a snood! It worked really well, it was snug enough to keep her warm but not so much that it was cutting off the circulation in her head :), i thought I was being so clever! Well, Violet hates the thing and was thrashing her head around so hard to try and get it off. I know its not a necessity but it seems like it would be so nice to keep her ears warm.

So, do you guys like them/use them on your greys?

I have a snood in preparation for winter but I haven't tried it yet. Summer, luckily, is a very tolerant type of dog and I doubt I'll have a problem. Because she WILL be wearing it, it can get really cold here even without the windchill factor. I want her to keep her cute little earsies intact. :thumbs-up

Lisa B.