Marking/peeing When Visiting At Another House With Dogs

Guest vmom

We have had our greyhound, Max, now for 2 months and he has been very well behaved. He has never pee-ed in the house or any type of accident.

He has however marked or pee-ed when we have visited a friend or relative's home who has a dog. Sort of embarrassing. We walk him well before we go into the house, so its not that he has to pee, its definitely marking behavior. When we first go into the house we keep him on leash for a few minutes until he is adjusted to his surroundings.

Any suggestions or ideas? We love to take him with us, but Max will be quickly loosing his welcome to visit if he doesn't stop this marking behavior.

Get a belly band for when you visit. It's perfectly normal dog behavior, especially if the house you're visiting has had a dog pee in it before. You haven't had him very long and he's still settling in to your home so just to be safe, I'd go with the belly band for a while. It won't stop him from trying to mark but it will give you time to "catch" him at it and correct him by take him outside without him doing any damage to the house where you're visiting.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I would keep him on leash until he is comfortable there and even then, I wouldn't let him get too far from you. I'm a pet sitter and I bring Bu to work with me. I taught him the command "stay here". Which for us means, don't leave the room. This way I can always keep an eye on him. He doesn't generally mark in other houses, and I plan on keeping it that way.

Guest Jubilee251

I always keep my pups on leash when visiting somewhere - I either tether them to me so they can't sneak off and any damage, or just hold the leash. When I feel comfortable, I let them off-leash but follow them VERY closely. Meaning if they go to another room, I follow them, or call them back so they are by my side. I don't give them a chance EVER to potty or mark in a new place. Just because he knows not to potty or mark in YOUR house doesn't mean he gives that distinction to other "indoor" spaces.