Few Boo Boos

My brother brought back my furkid with a few bumps and bruises from the dog park. :angryfire He seems fine, has some cuts here and there, but he is limping a little from a torn pad and a cut inbetween the toes. Anyway, I know he will be fine, but I'd like to give him some sort of pain med for the umcomfortablness. Everyone gives them Imodium and Benadryl and such, so I was wondering about Tylenol or baby aspirin. Any suggestions will be helpful...thanks!

Guest BooBooMama

My brother brought back my furkid with a few bumps and bruises from the dog park. :angryfire He seems fine, has some cuts here and there, but he is limping a little from a torn pad and a cut inbetween the toes. Anyway, I know he will be fine, but I'd like to give him some sort of pain med for the umcomfortablness. Everyone gives them Imodium and Benadryl and such, so I was wondering about Tylenol or baby aspirin. Any suggestions will be helpful...thanks!

NO Tylenol! It is toxic to dogs. Aspirin (baby aspirin) is safe in small doses.

Guest KennelMom

I wouldn't give anything. Minor pain has a purpose - it tends to breed inactivity, which is what you want so the boo boos have a chance to heal.

I wouldn't give anything. Minor pain has a purpose - it tends to breed inactivity, which is what you want so the boo boos have a chance to heal.

Ahhh... good point. He doesn't seem to be in pain, but I'm always afraid b/c dogs don't show it. The cuts aren't that severe...there's just a few of them...esp in-between the toes, so I feel bad.

I would make sure the cuts are cleaned well and maybe apply something to them, it is so easy for a small cut to get infected if it is not cleaned and treated.

I don't think pain pills would do much for cuts, anyway -- you'd take aspirin or ibuprofen as a human for muscle soreness or an injury like that, but not for a cut.

Next time you're at your vet you might see if you could get some Deramaxx to keep on hand -- I like having a few for insurance.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest Energy11

As everyone said ... NO TYLENOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IF you THINK the dog is in pain, ... (1) 81 mg low dose aspirin ... tops ... and I give mine with a Pepcid AC (generic)/ ...

If pain meds aren't needed ... then, just clean the wounds, and that is all you need to do ... you CAN put toddler socks on the feet if you need to, for cushioning... Good Luck. ... FYI ... I HATE dog parks :-( Just my opinion ... Sending healing thoughts, too!

If swelling occurs (or even if it doesn't) soaking the wounds in epson salts will keep them clean and will reduce swelling, which can cause pain.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

... you CAN put toddler socks on the feet if you need to, for cushioning... Good Luck. ... FYI ... I HATE dog parks :-( Just my opinion ... Sending healing thoughts, too!

I was thinking the same thing...not only for cushion but to keep the ointment on it. I do like him to lick it too though b/c there's healing properties in their saliva. Thanks for the dosage amount if I gave some baby aspirin. I dont plan on it this time, but it's good to know in the future.

I know a lot of ppl hate dog parks, but I'm a big fan. I know the possible consequences (we're looking at them now! :blush ) but the happiness on his face makes it worth it. I'm careful as I can be when I'm there... I know the ppl, dogs, etc. This particular park was where my bro lives.. :rolleyes:

If swelling occurs (or even if it doesn't) soaking the wounds in epson salts will keep them clean and will reduce swelling, which can cause pain.

I was thinking this too...glad you mentioned it! Thanks!