Seven Years Post Babesia Treatment

robinw

Phoenix was treated for babesia with Imizol seven years ago. He had many symptoms, including muscle waste. He's always been thin and it seems impossible to put any weight on him. He's healthy and my vet isn't concerned. Could this be due to the babesia? I'm trying to prepare for the "he's so thin" comments that I'll hear at Dewey :).

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest Swifthounds

Eh, and there's a pretty good chance that person will be holding the leash of a fat greyhound. Just tell them he's healthy and that's what's important.

My Comet has always been lean and he's even moreso with age. He's had some health issues in the past few years, and as long as he's happy, I'm happy to have him. They can say he's thin all they want.

With age, I think they often lose some muscle mass. My Sam is getting bonier around his hips and pelvis, but he hasn't lost any weight (he was weighed at the vet's yesterday while in for his bordatella snort). Sam just looks more angular than he used to. (Sam is five months younger than Phoenix.)

So, yeah, what Swifthounds said. If people make comments, you can say, "He's my healthy old man"--which will cue questioners that Phoenix is healthy and is a senior dog.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

I think it just might be an age issue.

You could always get him a bandanna or coat that says

"Yes I'm a bit thin but I'm old so shut your hole" :D

Guest Nitemare

Don't know about the Babesia. But, I have a tall thin male. So many people commented on this and he was at the vet more times that I can remember the first year I had him and tested for more things than I can recall (good thing he likes the vet). After all the vet appointments & money spent, turns out I have a perfectly healthy happy hound. I still get a few comments and I'll admit it bothers me, but as long as I know he is healthy and well cared for, I try to shrug it off.

Love Heather's suggestion :D

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest Swifthounds

I think it just might be an age issue.

You could always get him a bandanna or coat that says

"Yes I'm a bit thin but I'm old so shut your hole" :D

:rotfl

I can still remember the two ladies at Dewey many years ago trailing behind me talking about how mean I was to be dragging my poor, old greyhound all over shopping. I had then 3 year old Vixen with me who was, admittedly, starting to gray in the face and trotting along as I carried two stacked dog beds over my head on our way back to the car. The ladies didn't really know what to say when I told them Vixen was just about to turn three and went everywhere with me at Dewey because she had the energy level of a pup and was kept running-fit, so even vacations require exercise. I then politely suggested that perhaps they should focus on exercising their hounds (who were, to be polite, porcine).

Last year at Dewey people I had never even met commented on his weight, or lack of it. Sometimes it was addressed to me directly, but mostly it was said within earshot. I felt that the implication was that I didn't take care of Phoenix. I do.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest Swifthounds

There's an unfortunate trend amongst greyhound adopters where they express that given the hound's rough life :rolleyes: before, they will live in the lap of luxury now that they're retired. All to often, that is expressed in the form of a pudgy to downright fat greyhound. I never realized how many greyhound adopters don't know what a fit greyhound should look like until I started going to Dewey. Those folks would think a fit greyhound is thin, so if your boy is a bit thin, they're opinion is apt to erroneously think there's something wrong.

Either ignore them or if it really bothers you just thank them for the compassion they show to your Babesia survivor. (I did get frustrated with one woman a few years ago who was standing behind me talking about my thin dogs, so I finally turned around ad asked her if her problem was that she didn't pack her manners, that she didn't know what a greyhound should look like (she had a sausage hound with her), or both? She didn't answer, but she did stop talking about my hounds.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lovey_Hounds

I know exactly how you feel, I get that he is too thin comment all the time! :rolleyes: my boy raced between 61-64 lbs he now weighs 67-69 and he has a lot of muscle, he lure courses and is Very fit his best friend is a 23 month old greyhound puppy who he plays with a lot. what makes it worse is i have very thick looking girl hounds so he looks even smaller.

Most people who have something nasty to say have hounds who look like they are expecting and waddle.

Anyone who makes a comment with out knowing you or your hound is plain and simple ignorant, and if you do hear someone whispering/muttering anything turn and loudly ask them if they have a question you may be able to answer for them and when they say anything remind them not all humans are built the same as are Greyhounds ;)

I also like to make the comment "he isnt skinny he is dainty! see his teeny ankles!"

Here is a picture of my "scrawny" 7 year old boy Vegas it was Taken in may 2010.

DSC_0041.jpgDSC_0046.jpg

Edited by Lovey_Hounds

Guest Swifthounds

Most people who have something nasty to say have hounds who look like they are expecting and waddle.

:nod

If hounds at gatherings are anything to judge by, and overwhelming number of people really don't know what a greyhound does/should look like. Then again, maybe they're just more prevalent because those who fatten their hounds like hogs are proud of the life of fitness they "saved" their dog from. :rolleyes: