Would Petzlife Be Ok For An Ibd Dog?

Guest Stripeyfan

Guest Stripeyfan

Having seen a few posts recently about dogs' teeth, it's made me more aware than ever of the importance of keeping Kelly's clean. However, we have a few problems - as some of you may know he has IBD, and just one dab of dog toothpaste has him pooping pure mucus within 24 hrs (sorry if that's TMI!). For that same reason, meaty bones and dental chews are out. And he won't chew nylabones (probably because they don't squeak!).

I clean daily using baking soda and water on a rag wrapped round my finger (he won't even entertain a finger brush), and his teeth are okay, but all the same I don't think it's really doing the job - he's on a soft, home-cooked diet which doesn't help. Plus he HATES having his teeth done - jerks his head about, fights me and grinds his back teeth like crazy when I try to get to them, no matter how gentle I am. I usually end up doing about half of them and then leaving it, as I don't want to stress him out too much.

So... I'm wondering if he might be able to tolerate Petzlife, as I could just rub that onto his teeth and leave it. From what I've read about it it's all natural ingredients and some of them, such as peppermint, are actually recommended for dogs with digestive problems. Has anybody here used it with an IBD dog, and did they tolerate it ok? Or is there anything else I could use?

Thanks in advance for any info!

ETA he's on pred and oxytetracycline, would there be any risk of a reaction with the ingredients of the spray/gel to these?

Edited by Stripeyfan

Guest greytloves

Gosh, I would not know. But their main website has lots of good enough and I bet you could contact them directly and see if they know. You just spray a few squirts on the teeth, not sure if that would be enough to cause a flair? The gel may be enough to cause a flair. If I had to choose one to try, I would go with the squirt bottle. But I think I would email them directly first.

Definitely contact the company. And also take a list of ingredients in to your IBD vet.

Interestingly, I would probably suggest the gel *instead* of the spray! huh.gif You put it directly on the teeth and I don't think there would be much he would swallow. The spray just kind of goes everywhere, and I think the chance of ingestion is higher.

There! Now you can decide! ;) Any other opinions??

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest greytloves

I just thought that since you use more of the gel then the spray, (or at least it seems that way to me) maybe less would be consumed? Not really my opinion, just my thought since recently been using both. And I figured the gel amount is probably equivlant to the toothpaste amount which did cause issues with him. What does anyone else think?

Guest cristaron

Our boy has a touch of IBD. It's not a serious case, but

he can never eat anything except his kibble or he gets the

mucousy stools right away.

I've been using the Petzlife gel on him for years now and it

hasn't seemed to bother him at all. We brush every night.

I'd ask your vet though, just to be sure.

I'd ask your vet though, just to be sure.

Beau is an IBD dog. Diagnosed by open exploratory surgery.

I wouldn't give that. His teeth of course are the worst of all my dogs, but he is alive.

Beau was on 50 mg of pred and imuran. We are off the pred on on budesonide.

I'd ask your vet about it.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Stripeyfan

Thankyou for all your replies! Yeah, I think I will ask the vet...

Kelly is a bit of a mystery to be honest - things that you'd think'd make him flare don't, and things that shouldn't , do - for example, he cannot seem to tolerate any commercial dog food, not even the most digestible prescription diets, but a couple of times he's 'found' stuff when we're out on walks (he gulps it down so quick you only realise he's got something as he swallows it)... and no problems.

RobinM, I have been reading about Beau and when you had him scoped as a couple of months ago, we had to decide whether to do this with Kelly (we didn't in the end as he'd regained all his weight) - that must have been heartbreaking for you and I'm so glad he pulled through. Like you say, the absolute most important thing is that your dog is alive.

Guest Stripeyfan

Haven't been able to phone yet (working all week), but I need to phone next week to get more enzyme capsules so will ask then if she's not busy. She's been pretty mystified by Kelly too though so not sure what she'll say or if she'll know!

We went ahead and ordered some already, both the gel and spray. Didn't ask anybody first. They haven't arrived yet but we can let you know what happens! (Guinea pig emoti here.) lol.gif We've been using dental wipes, round pads that come in a jar. They don't cause him trouble, and he's doing okay with his teeth, but I thought I'd try the other stuff anyhow. At least a time or two per week.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).