Ace - Throwing Up

Poor Ace just threw up :( It happened right after I scolded her for snarking at Pinky and then at Sutra, when they were nowhere near her. She is snarky about her space and always has been, but, over the past couple of days, it's like she's expanded her snark zone™. I am now wondering if she's been this way because she hasn't been feeling well.

She was out eating some grass earlier. She's not the type to eat inappropriate things (things that would cause a blockage), but her belly is looking a little full. Maybe she's gassy? I have been trying to use up the food that Sutra used to eat, so they've been getting just a tiny bit of it mixed in with their regular TOTW kibble. I've been doing this for about a week now though. I wonder if it's slowly irritating her tummy.

I am going to take her temp and watch her. She was laying on the couch with me, but, she just got up and is kind of wandering around and is panting a little. She keeps stretching like she's trying to stretch her back legs, and I just noticed the insides of her back legs are a bit reddish looking.

She has gained some weight since being on the prednisone for her leukemia, so, it's difficult for me to tell if her belly is a bit bloated or if that's just her fat :dunno

Think I should rush her to the e-vet, or just try to get her to calm down a bit and see where that takes us? :unsure

Edit: I got her to lay down and relax, she's got her eyes closed now.

I took her temp, it's 102.0, so, normal. She's been a bit farty so I'm wondering if she's just had some really bad gas pain.

I'm going to give her some pepcid as I don't have any gas-x (not really sure if pepcid takes care of gas, but, it will at least help if her tummy is sour...

Edited by krissn333

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest scfilby

Stretching is a sign of stomach discomfort.

Here is a blurb regarding bloat. The entire article is HERE

The classic signs of bloat are restlessness and pacing, salivation, retching, unproductive attempts to vomit, and enlargement of the abdomen. The dog may whine or groan when you press on his belly. Thumping the abdomen produces a hollow sound.

If your pup shows any of the signs of bloat I'd go in immediately.

I tried thumping her abdomen. If she is laying on her back and I thump it there, it sounds normal. If she is laying on her side, and I thump her on her SIDE at the very bottom of her ribcage, it makes a hollow noise. Don't know if that's what you mean by a hollow noise (ie, if that's where I should be thumping her, or if the thump of the tummy when she's on her back is more accurate).

I have palpated her abdomen and she doesn't respond at all as far as whining or groaning.

Edited by krissn333

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

The mid to rearward part of the ribcage (not the tuck) is where you would normally see expansion if the dog is filling up with gas. Hope she is fine this morning!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I was *so* close to taking her to the ER last night. She had stood up and seemed uncomfortable still, an hour or so after I'd given her pepcid and she'd rested a bit. I got up and got dressed and was honestly getting her out the door when she decided to quit being mopey (she'd been walking around with her head down) and do some zoomies in the yard. She did a good amount of burping and farting last night, so I think she just had really bad gas pain.

She just had dinner, and she walked in here and burped really loudly. I need to pick up some gas-x to have around here as I don't think pepcid is really indicated for gas eradication.

Guest Energy11

I hope everything is OK!

I have started giving Gas X with EVERY meal! Just a theory, BUT, what the heck ... it MIGHT help prevent bloat! We FINALLY have an Evet within 15 minutes of here, but still ... an ounce of prevention ... as they say! If any of mine show signs of stomach discomfort, I use both Pepcid AC and Gas X....

I hope everything is OK!

I have started giving Gas X with EVERY meal! Just a theory, BUT, what the heck ... it MIGHT help prevent bloat! We FINALLY have an Evet within 15 minutes of here, but still ... an ounce of prevention ... as they say! If any of mine show signs of stomach discomfort, I use both Pepcid AC and Gas X....

Good to know!nod.gif

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest Energy11

I hope everything is OK!

Good to know!nod.gif

I mentioned giving Gas X to them with their meals to my vet and vet tech on Wed., and they honestly thought it was a good idea, too :-) I get the generic Gas X at Walmart, as well as the generic pepcid AC... cheaper, and same stuff.