Grey And Diarrhea

Guest juju

Hello, I am so concerned about my Grey having diarrhea for 2 months now. She also has infection under flap of her pee pee. The vet gave her a prescripton and it is not helping.

She is 13 yrs old. Also that the vet said the diarrhea was caused by nervous collitis. The vet gave me a refill of the diarhea meds and it is not any better. I would like to find something else like a natural remedy for the diarrhea.

She has an yeast on pee=pee area, the fold over the pee-pee has a problem with yeast.

Any help you can give to me would be great appreciated. Please help. Thank you!

What kind of prescription did the vet give for her "flap"? It can be helpful to gently clean the dog after each potty trip and then use an antifungal + antibiotic ointment.

Also, what meds for diarrhea? What food is she eating? Has she had a fecal analysis/culture to ensure no worms or giardia? Sometimes a different medication or different food can help.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I wish I had some advice. But I wanted to say that I hope she feels better soon. What's her name?

Thank you for your concern...Her name is Mayfe...juju

One of mine didn't get better until the vet tried something old-fashioned. A kaolin mixture.

I then fed rice and boiled chicken only for a couple of weeks.

Thank you so much for the advice...juju

Guest ChasesMum

is your grey new to you? nerves can cause loose poop in greyhounds but I would be concerned too after 2 months. Batmom has some good questions and advice, and I too would feed boiled hamburger and rice (or rice and chicken like john suggested) and look at maybe a different food or something to stop the diarrhea.

i know in people, diarrhea can alter the natural flora and allow things like uti's and yeast to flourish, not sure if similar things happen in dogs, but they could be connected?

John, I wonder if my vet uses a similar thing - she has it compounded and calls it Kaobiotic and it worked like a charm!

Edited by ChasesMum

Two months is a long time. At age 13 that will wear her out. I'd do a fecal culture to rule out not just giardia, but some other infectious agent.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Thanks for all the replies. My Greyhounds name is Mayfe. She has been with me for 11 years so she is like my child. I know that she will develope problems in her elder years so I'm prepared for that. It great to have a forum like this one to get help when needed.

Julie and Mayfe

If Mayfe has been on antibiotics for her infection around her girl parts, the diarrhea can be from the antibiotics accidentally killing off the good bacteria in the intestines. It can happen in people too, just like women can get vaginal yeast from using antibiotics. do the tests to make sure the diarrhea isn't caused by it's own infection and if it is not, then try adding canned pumpkin or some other kind of fiber to her diet. That can help firm stuff up. Also if she will eat plain or vanilla yogurt with live cultures, that can put the body chemistry right again too and take care of the yeast and the diarrhea. What did the vet mean by "nervous colitis"? Was he referring to an emotional nervousness or could she have problems with the nerves in her back that control the motility of the intestine? Back problems could also be the problem. But if he thinks it's emotional, what's changed in your lifestyle recently to cause her to be nervous? Is it something that can be put back the way it was?

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Guest scfilby

Welcome to Greytalk..

I would think that a hound who has been with you for 11 years would not suddenly develop a nervous condition unless there have been major changes in your home.

As others have said, if the big D developed after she started taking the antibiotics, it is likely that, but there could be something else going on. Honestly, just the diagnosis of nervous colitis would throw me off your vet (unless your home situation has recently changed).

Batmom asked the good questions.. Your answers will lead to better advice..

I swear by yogurt.. IMO it is key to keeping these pups' digestion calm and regular.

Edited by scfilby