Fish Oil

Hi!

Does anyone know the appropriate (or recommended) EPA and DHA to look for in fish oil? In particular, I'm interested in getting some capsules for simplicity's sake, and since I'm traveling a lot right now. I was told that some kinds may not have the right amount, regardless of the mg in the capsules.

Thanks!

Cathy

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

Guest Swifthounds

A maintenance dose of Omega 3s (the ones you're looking to add) would be 300 mg (combined total EPA & DHA) per 30 lbs. of dog and the theraputic dose of Omega 3s (the ones you're looking to add) would be 300 mg (combined total EPA & DHA) per 10 lbs. of dog. Unless your dog is sensitive to soy, which is in many processed oils and need not be listed on the label, the numbers are what you need to know.

The mgs (usually 1000 or 1200) listed on the front of the bottle is them mg amount of the oil, not the concentration of EPA/DHA. Flip the bottle over and look for those two numbers. Also, be sure to check the "dosage" - some bottles will list the amount as 1 pill and some will list the EPA/DHA per two capsules. It's how you can compare "less expensive" and "more expensive" fish oils to see what actually gets you the most bang for the buck.

Cathy, I tried the caps when I first got my grey and it just added to his stomach problems..But, I got mine at Walmart and they were just in the vitamin section for people..so, maybe I did not get the right fish oil for dogs. I never tried again. Wish you luck.

A maintenance dose of Omega 3s (the ones you're looking to add) would be 300 mg (combined total EPA & DHA) per 30 lbs. of dog and the theraputic dose of Omega 3s (the ones you're looking to add) would be 300 mg (combined total EPA & DHA) per 10 lbs. of dog. Unless your dog is sensitive to soy, which is in many processed oils and need not be listed on the label, the numbers are what you need to know.

The mgs (usually 1000 or 1200) listed on the front of the bottle is them mg amount of the oil, not the concentration of EPA/DHA. Flip the bottle over and look for those two numbers. Also, be sure to check the "dosage" - some bottles will list the amount as 1 pill and some will list the EPA/DHA per two capsules. It's how you can compare "less expensive" and "more expensive" fish oils to see what actually gets you the most bang for the buck.

Let's see if I've got this right...

Robin weighs 80 pounds, and I think I want a therapeutic dose right now because I'm hoping it will help his newly-found arthritis and we're just starting the oil. So that means I want to give him 2400 mg of Omega 3s a day?

If so, can I do the math any way I want for the pills I find? For example, I have some in the fridge that are 720mg for 2 capsules, so he would need about 7 capsules a day...so maybe 3 in the AM and 4 in the PM... ?????

I think this kind may be the cheap, not-potent stuff, though, so I may do some shopping tomorrow while I'm out. But for a grey without stomach issues, does that kind of calculating sound about right? I get so confused...

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

Guest Fasave

There was a similar thread on here recently. I'm a huge believer in fish oil. Not all fish oils are equal and it's important to know the combined, as well as, individual EPA/DHA amounts. Also the omega 3 versus omega 6 amounts. Too much omega 6 can cause problems. I buy my fish oil (Spectrum)from Vitaminlife.com link. It's 16.75 (5.95 flat fee shipping so I order with a friend) for 240 capsules and my guys get three each/day. Spectrum states the source of the fish oil as well. I brought the nutritional label to my vet at Ave's last annual and he said it was great stuff and just the right amount. BTW - My IBD dog was on fish oil with no impact on the tummy. Fish oil is great for all kinds of ailments and I should probably be taking it myself.

435409f594d78.jpg

I think one of the important factors in preventing stomach upset when giving fish oil is to start really slow because it's a source of fat. So for my two dogs I started with half a capsule - I pierced it and split it between their bowls. Then I didn't give any the next day, then half a capsule for 2 days in a row, then 1 capsule each, another day of rest, then 1 capsule for a few days in a row, then added a second one, etc. This is cause my grey has a sensitive tummy though, for some dogs you don't need to go that slow.

At this point my 75 lb grey is getting 4 capsules (1200mg of EPA/DHA since ours are the standard ones with 300mg each) - we're just doing a maintenance dose. I just give them all at bedtime, along with his glucosamine pills. Ours are from Costco, they don't need to be a special "dog" brand IMO.

Guest Swifthounds

Let's see if I've got this right...

Robin weighs 80 pounds, and I think I want a therapeutic dose right now because I'm hoping it will help his newly-found arthritis and we're just starting the oil. So that means I want to give him 2400 mg of Omega 3s a day?

Yes. I would probably start with giving one pill a day and slowly work up to the to full dose. Let bowel tolerance be your guide.

If so, can I do the math any way I want for the pills I find? For example, I have some in the fridge that are 720mg for 2 capsules, so he would need about 7 capsules a day...so maybe 3 in the AM and 4 in the PM... ?????

Yes, you can do the math any way you want. Once you know how much total EPA/DHA you need, you can compare different brands and strengths. Just avoid anything that has significant Omega 6s or 9s (they promote inflammation and are what you need to add the Omega 6s to balance out).