Firt Aid Question

Guest duckbilled

Guest duckbilled

Hello,

Ike got a little cut on the top of his toe yesterday - he probably got nicked by something in the yard when he was doing his laps. This happens from time to time with him and I would imagine is very common with everyone else here.

Although we have a first aid kit, we end up going to the vet a lot for this stuff because we are worry warts. I am trying to avoid it this time.

The cut is less than 1/2 inch long and doesn't seem very deep. It was bleeding a little yesterday, I dumped hydrogen peroxide on it and wrapped it last night. He was limping around last night but we figured it was because of the wrap on his paw.

This morning he is acting funny. He is still limping and he seems pretty slow. I let him outside and he just sat in the grass - very strange for him. At least he usually poops or something. He hasn't eaten this morning but that is not unusual for him. Perhaps I'll try a cookie or something in a little while.

I changed the dressing a few minutes ago. It looks like it stopped bleeding and it doesn't look bad. I gave it another round of hydrogen peroxide (he hates that - such a baby), cleaned it with an iodine prep, slapped a little Neosporin on it and wrapped it again. I wrapped it a little looser this time.

I don't want it to get infected but I also don't want to pay for a vet bill for a simple cut that doesn't even need stitches. Because of his lethargy, should I be worried or do you think he is just being melodramatic due to the trauma we put him through?

Thanks.

Better to use mild soap and water or Nolvasan than hydrogen peroxide, which can burn good tissue. Usually I just clean well once, then neosporin and wrap as you've done. I don't clean it again unless it gets dirty but will put more neosporin on a new bandage. I wouldn't think a small cut would make him lethargic. Is there any swelling on the toe, or anything that makes it look like it's not in the correct position?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest duckbilled

No, it seems pretty normal except for the cut. When I dresses it last night, and changed it this morning, it didn't seem like it was causing too much discomfort. He let me clean it with the iodine prep pad. Of course, he pulled his paw away but he does that when I wipe is muddy feet.

I'm thinking he doesn't like walking with the wrap on his paw and that's why he seems slow. He is able to walk up and down the stairs if he wants to.

Thanks for the help. I'll keep my eye on him. He is a pretty low energy greyhound to begin with.

How often should I change the dressing?

Edited by duckbilled

Guest KennelMom

what batmom said. if you use h202, only use it for the initial cleaning, then move on to something else for future cleanings. Soap and water is usually all you really nead. A wound that small I probably wouldn't even wrap...bandages are often moist and warm and dark - the kind of places the germs love to thrive. they can also weird the dog out, when they could otherwise just keep going on with life.

Edited by KennelMom

Guest duckbilled

Thanks. We originally didn't want to wrap it but he was bleeding on the carpeting. I'll probably take it off tonight and cone him so he doesn't lick.

I would change the bandage daily for a day or two, then @ every other day. BUT if it gets wet you'll have to change it ASAP. Once the wound closes up and doesn't seem inclined to reopen, could try just a toddler sock vetwrapped around his ankle to keep him from messing with it. Some folks don't like to wrap small wounds on feet but I often do because my dogs tend to pick at minor wounds and make them worse.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest duckbilled

Lethargy is over. I just saw him bolt across the yard after a bird. He is now enjoying his brunch.

I think the wrap has him freaked out a little and I do believe he is milking the situation for sympathy.

Guest Energy11

Sounds like you are doing all the right things, except the peroxide. You can use it initially, if you want, but best not to use it for future changes, like the others said. It will break down the tissues and impead the clotting process.

I'd keep an eye on the foot, and if you see any swelling or pus, then see if the vet will give you some Keflex antibiotic for it.

Here is some FYI info:

Torn Pads; Pulled Nails, Corns, and other foot injuries:

One of THE most common injuries to your greyhounds are foot injuries. For torn pads, pulled or broken off nails, clean the wound with antibacterial soap and water, blot dry. Apply Trypzyme-V ointment or spray, or triple antibiotic ointment to the wound.*You can stop bleeding from pulled toe nails with Quik Stop. Cover with a clean toddler sock (*usually shoe size 3-8.5), and tape the sock on loosely (*too tight will cut off the circulation to the foot ... you should be able to slide you pinkie finger between the tape and sock with ease) with tape, preferably, Transpore clear tape. Cover with a bootie. I use the high booties available from The Voyagers: http://www.k9apparel.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=5. Usually, a torn nail will fall off in a matter of days, but it is advisable to see your veterinarian for a course of antibiotics and follow-up for the injury. For small objects stuck in the pad like glass, and other debris, soaking in Epsom Salts helps greatly, and sometimes, the objects will come out on their own.

Guest sheila

another no vote on the peroxide. Peroxide can actually debride healthy tissue. Once the bleeding has stopped I would try and leave it open to air as much as possible and perhaps some neo-sporin or even an anti-bacterial spray. I really don't think the cone is going to be of much use because a greyhound will easily be able to reach their toes even with the cone on.

I have a liquid soap solution from the vet--very dilute, I'm sure you could make it at home for cheaper, that I use for the first cleaning, because I have it around and the squirt bottle makes it easy to use.

After that, if I'm concerned about dirt in the wound, and particularly about uncomfortable swelling, I soak in a mild epsom salt solution.

Since Patrick is such a licker, I try to keep a baby sock on--lets air in, but keeps him out and the wound reasonably clean.

In general, before I use a product on a wound on an animal, I make sure I try it out on a cut of my own to see if it stings. That way, even if it's necessary, I know what to expect. Of course this might not work if you're not as clutsy as I am.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.