How Hot Is Too Hot?

Guest limbrooke83

Guest limbrooke83

Here in the Midwest it has been super hot and humid lately - the kind of weather that makes you sweat the instant you walk out the door and leaves you feeling all sticky. The temps recently have been in the upper 80s with a "real feel" in the upper 90s or lower 100s. I think the humidity is the worst part of it. All this heat has kept us from our usual walks outdoors. Even after dark it doesn't cool down much, so DeeDee and I have been keeping busy playing indoor games. We did make it to the dog park when it cooled off last night, but it's the first time we've gone in at least a month, and it certainly can't replace her regular walks.

So my question is this: how hot is too hot for walks? DeeDee's my first grey, so I'm not accustomed to the breed's relative intolerance of high temps. I'm concerned both about the heat in general and the paved surfaces we usually walk on (people's yards aren't always trimmed, and I worry about fleas, ticks, etc in those that aren't... plus DeeDee walks a lot better on lead when she's not tempted to stop and sniff every other blade of grass). :P

Would it work if I simply brought along a spray bottle of water and sprayed her every so often? Or do I need to keep up the extra indoor games until things cool down outside? She does seem to tire more quickly on walks when it's hot, so shorter walks seem to be okay. I just don't want to overdo it. Thanks!

-Brooke

Personally, if the pavement is too hot for you to walk on barefoot, it's too hot for your pup and if you're uncomfortable walking outside, so is your dog. Your best bet for walks is really early in the mornings. That's the coolest part of the day these days. Be very careful of the heat. Dogs can over heat very quickly and you can find yourself in an emergency situation with your pup. Take very short walks, if your pup slows way down, head home, it's too hot.

Carry water with you. If your pup starts to over heat, pour some under the arms, on the belly and feet and head home quickly.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest scfilby

We take the pups for pet store walks in cool glorious air conditioning. They always attract attention, have fun meeting people and stay cool. It's in the upper 90's here every day now with humidity so high you need to chew the air. Just potty time is enough to drag our hounds out. They really don't want to be out any more then I do.

Guest TeddysMom

It has been miserable here in the Ozarks for 3 or more weeks. I only walk the dogs after the sun sets and then only for about 1/2 mile or if they start to pant too much we get home. We had a pretty nice shower a little bit ago so the gravel is nice and cool on their feet tonight. During the day they have the yard to go out if they want. I really miss the long walks but I won't take the chance of them getting overheated.

Personally I don't think they are less heat tolerant than any other breed of dog and much more heat tolerant than many other breeds like pugs, pekes and English bulldogs. But that doesn't mean we walk a mile (or anywhere) in the daytime in Texas in July.

Once it heats up we only go for walks late at night. Mine is a funky neighborhood, but I have never had a problem -- a big black dog tends to make anyone passing to go to the 7-11 on the corner cross the street -- or else we do so.

Actually we just went for a walk. It is 86 and 76% humidity and it was really very comfortable.

I know the humidity can make a big difference. It was horrible in the summer close into Chicago but my yorkie and I still walked at night. Looks like Des Moines is 80 degrees and 85% humidity now.

I agree with Judy that if you are on a "normal" schedule walking as early in the morning as possible is the way to go.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Gaeaggg

Here near Dallas, we walk at 5:30am once it gets hot. We try hard to find freshly watered lawns to walk through. They are fine with 1 and 1/2 to 2 miles. Our girl is nearly 9. We used to walk 3 miles. I think she'd be ok, but we don't want to tire her too much. The young foster boys probably should walk more to tire them out more. I don't even like the shiny big black boy to spend too much time outside for potty breaks in the sun.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

It is so hot here for months and months. The only exercising we do is at the beach. My hounds all love to swim!

Guest Energy11

Yes, DEFINITELY too hottt for walks here! angryfire.gifmad.gif

EXTREME heat and humidity for another week. Mine go out for potty breaks and two SHORT turnouts in the larger pen, and that is it. They are stir crazy, but it is simply TOOOOO HOTTTT AND HUMID for long-term exposure.

**Please see heat related post I just bumped.

SOMEHOW, this has got to end! Good luck keeping your pupper cool and entertained. I feel for you!

Hi Brooke, I'm in Iowa too -- didn't think I realized you were (whereabouts?). It's definitely crazy humid out. We walk (and run off leash -- well Beth does!) early in the morning, before 8:00, ideally before 7:00. Got out later this morning and it was definitely hotter than comfortable by 8:45 or so.

I do take Beth out for brief walks midday and around 5:00 because those are her potty times, but we keep it to a couple of blocks and in the shade as much as possible, and minimize walking on dark street pavement, hustling across it when there's no alternative (the paler concrete of sidewalks stays much cooler!) -- I'm fortunate to live on a tree-lined boulevard with a grassy median that is an ideal place to walk in hot weather. We walk a little longer around 9:00 at night for "last call," but Beth is pretty lazy then.

So really she's getting one "big" walk/exercise time now when she usually gets two (another longer one in the late afternoon/early evening), but we do walk ... I'm pretty fanatical about keeping a routine as much as possible and keeping her in condition. She cools off quite readily once we get back in the air-conditioned house.

By the way, seeing the fuzzy-coated pups running around on their farms in Abilene with the temps in the 90s during Greyhound America gave me a new perspective on greyhounds and hot weather. I am careful, but I'm realizing that some panting doesn't mean they're about to expire.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest kydie

if it's too hot for me,,, it's too hot for them,,, and disagree with greys being no different than other breeds regarding heat,,,, I have a GSP that the heat is of no concern to him,,, as it is to me,,, for him,,, he is also grounded when it is hot :)

I think it's all relative to teh dog. We're in Arizona. As a result our dogs have become pretty acclimated to heat. Does this mean we walk when it's 110? Of course not. But I have walked them at 530AM when it's over 90 degrees. For other dogs in other parts of the country this owuld be extreme heat as the wouldn't be used to it. I also don't think greyhounds are necessarily more heat intolerant than other dogs(my own anectodal experience is that our standard poodle is having a much more difficult time with summer heat than either of greyhounds ever have).

Good rules of thumb are not to walk in the sun in high temperatures(I have black dogs, even in the more mild months I rarely walk them mid-day when it's 75 or over). Keep them well-hydrated. Watch them and learn the signs for your own dog when the heat is too much. Keep them wet down if they are hot(i don't like the coats, blankets etc for this...I prefer to just wet them down directly). Shorten walks in the heat. Some of our more extreme days(for instance a couple weeks ago when we had more than a couple 115 days in a row) our walks are as short as to the corner to get the mail at 11pm at night just so they can get out and have a mental break out of the house.

I find I myself am pretty acclimated to the heat here as well. If I'm uncomfortable my dogs typically are as well, if I'm comfortable it seems they often are too. That said, neither me nor the dogs tolerate cold so well anymore! :lol

Guest Sunset123

I am careful, but I'm realizing that some panting doesn't mean they're about to expire.

This is true. Panting is a completely natural response to the heat. No harm in letting the dog cool him/herself down a little.

Guest humveemom

Hi,

I have 2 Greys, Cairo and my new girl Petra who just joined us this Sunday! We live in Chicago where it's been so hot and humid, but my Cairo still looks forward to his daily walk. I have found that early morning is best. the sidewalk has cooled down and usually it's the coolest time of the 24 hour period. Sometimes a late night (anytime between 8:30 & 10 usually) walk is okay as long as the sun has gone down and the breeze is still blowing. I have been shortening their walks however to half the normal distance if it's real hot. I think it's better to at least keep up a modified walk schedule rather than stop altogether. A cool neckerchief with some ice folded in it helps keep them cool also!!

Guest limbrooke83

Thanks for the advice and shared experiences, everyone! My biggest struggle with early morning walks is I work evenings into the middle of the night, so I really can't be out that early in the morning. I do work from home, but that's the schedule I have to keep. Our "non-hot day" schedule is a quick potty break just before breakfast, a 30-45 minute walk in the mid-afternoon, and another walk from my husband when he gets home at night (usually between 7 and 11 PM). I've tried walking DeeDee when I get off, but 1) Our neighborhood is just shady enough that I'm uncomfortable walking her alone at night, and 2) by the time I get off work, DeeDee is pooped out and has no desire to walk anywhere, lol!

What I'm having to do for the time being is take a quick break from work just after the sun goes down (around 8:30ish) to take her for her first walk. The problem is it's still a little warm some days, so we don't do it unless the pavement feels okay and there's a breeze blowing. I also have a spray bottle I sometimes use to wet her down a bit, which she seems to really enjoy. I miss our longer walks during the daytime, but from what's been said here it sounds like I was right to keep her inside (except for potty breaks) during this crazy heat we've been having.

Hi Brooke, I'm in Iowa too -- didn't think I realized you were (whereabouts?). It's definitely crazy humid out. We walk (and run off leash -- well Beth does!) early in the morning, before 8:00, ideally before 7:00. Got out later this morning and it was definitely hotter than comfortable by 8:45 or so.

I'm in Ottumwa (Southeast Iowa). I saw in your signature you're with QC Greyhound Adoption. I have a friend who's with that group, and I'm hoping to make it up to your big get together that's coming up. Maybe I'll see you there?

-Brooke

Mine don't even want to go in the back yard when it's hot. Hopefully this horrifically hot summer will come to an end soon and we can all enjoy the wonderful fall weather!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest NJgrey

I just look for signs from the dog. Ours is young so I don't worry too much about her. If she's panting but walking normally, that's fine. When she lays down in the grass, then I know it's time for a rest, a bit of a wet down, and time to go home.

Besides that, we only do substantive walks/ rums before 9am and after 8pm. Common sense, pretty much what I would do for myself :)