Cooking For A Cancer Patient

Guest ChasesMum

Guest ChasesMum

so the thought is chase has lymphoma. :(

to make what time she has left most pleasurable i want to cook her meals. i was going to get some chicken to slowcook and mash, what quarter is best? or whole chicken? any veg?

we will add some kibble but she isnt a fan currently, and i want to maybe eliminate the rice since i thought higher protein was better for cancer in general. so what could i use (pumpkin i know, not sure if i can find any!) or would the bones be enough? any vitamin supp?

uugh. my poor baby.

Guest Energy11

When our senior, Max, was dying of Osteo, he only ate canned Chicken Soup for the Senior Dog, and, toward the end, only Science Diet Prescription AD food. He LOVED the AD, and it is specially formulated for sick and dying dogs and cats. Maybe Chase would like it?

Again, sooo sorry you are going through The Big C!

Batman ate mostly a mixture of chicken and beef (more calories than chicken), with a little spinach, molasses, and egg added in. He also liked Tripett (canned green tripe; Solid Gold has a canned version called "Green Cow Tripe"), spaghettios, cinnamon bread, a chicken liver or two, applesauce, yogurt, vanilla ice cream ..... He was allergic to fish or I'd've given him jack mackerel -- hideously smelly cheap canned fish, most dogs love it.

Homecooked wet food has more water, of course, and thus more volume, so you may have to work to get enough calories down. I fed 4-6 meals a day, as much as I could get him to eat (his illness affected his appetite). If he expressed interest in eating something that the people had and it was safe for him, I gave it to him.

Still praying the docs are wrong and that your sweetie will pull through this. Sending hugs and scritchies.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest mcsheltie

There is a home cooked cancer diet. It was formulated by one of the big oncology gurus (name escapes me at the moment) It isn't online, but I can scan and send it to you. Ground beef is the protein source.

PM me in case I don't get back to GT today.

You can do an on-line consult with Dr Remaillard at Angel Memorial (in Boston). She formulated a cancer diet for one of my dogs that consisted of mostly beef and vegetables and very small amounts of carbohydrates and supplements (calcium, fish oil, vitamins).

Guest PhillyPups

When Zeus had lymphoma, Paul (Paulownedbyfour) made him a special home made - Zeus ate that and loved it. I am sure if you pm Paul, he will share his recipe with you. My prayers are with you and your sweet Chase - praying the diagnosis is wrong. :hope

Edited by PhillyPups

Guest NJgrey

No experience with special diets for cancer dogs, but my mom uses this as a base for her older dog with diabetes. Basically a dried out veggie mixture. Add hot water, wait a few minutes, add your protein on top and you're done.

http://www.drharveys.com/products/show/13-veg-to-bowl

If you're homecooking with veggies etc. it may make the process a little simpler.

Edited by NJgrey