Apollo Is Hurting

Guest bigorangedog

Don't beat yourself up. You've been going all out to do your best for him, and now you have to start from where you are. Hopefully the morphine is making him seem less stable than he is, and he'll be much improved when that wears off. Scritchies and fingers crossed!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Greytluv

I hope he's feeling better soon. Poor baby :kiss2

It works better to do the chiropractic and follow with acupuncture.

My vet does it opposite :dunno

Guest iconsmum

The acu/chiro vet thought the rads of his back looked okay, and was certain that he doesn't have LS.

You can't rule out LS from an x-ray.

IMHO it is not a good thing to subject a dog to a procedure that causes that much pain and requires morphine, ace, or gabapentin afterwards -- let alone all three. I'd skip those procedures in future and find a wiser vet.

ETA: Of course it's possible that his pain has nothing to do with his adjustment. That is one reason that I would advocate full diagnostics, including MRI, before using chiropractic on a dog with suspected back pain. For example, if the dog has a ruptured disc -- which you also can't rule out from an x-ray -- you risk *increasing* damage with chiropractic procedures.

My senior also had wayyy too much pain the day after the vet/chiro treated him - she said it was "normal" but it sure didn't look normal to me...I quit the vet over it, and went to Tallgrass to learn canine acupressure - that way you can go slower, point by point, and vary the emphasis while you watch the reaction you're getting....it's quite a long way from beginner to advanced level but it's a real eye-opener, it works gently, and you can be 1 on 1 with the dog....**like chiropractic though, it is NOT a substitute for the vet when you need one.

Edited by iconsmum

I hope his morphine wears off and he'll be right as rain! Sutra went to the chiro today and he's doing much better. He gets a catch in his neck and it causes him to limp. I suspect it's a leftover problem from when he dislocated his shoulder in January.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest greytloves

Poor boy. Sounds as if he just needs to rest and relax for awhile. Nothing is better then a day in bed being hand fed by his human! Hope today he is feeling better and the Morphine and the pain is subsiding.

Guest dwolfe711

Don't beat yourself up Jen - you're just doing what you think will help him. I have no experience with tripods so have no idea what realignments etc. their bodies have to go through to compensate for the loss of the limb. Our Apollo had chiro and accupuncture for his weak rearend but he never had any problems afterward. Maybe it was just a normal adjustment made worse by what his body has to do to compensate for being out of balance. Whatever, I'm sure he'll be fine when he "wakes up" from his "nap"!! Hang in there - you do so much good for your pups - Apollo is very lucky to be with you guys!! Miss seeing you - take care. Hugs and kisses to Apollo and all the pups!!

Donna

Pleae don't beat yourself up. You are doing the best for your pup. Hugs to both of you...We've used chiropractic for our dogs for years and have never had that problem. Hope the morphine wears off soon...

Pleae don't beat yourself up. You are doing the best for your pup. Hugs to both of you...We've used chiropractic for our dogs for years and have never had that problem. Hope the morphine wears off soon...

Guest eaglflyt

The acu/chiro vet thought the rads of his back looked okay, and was certain that he doesn't have LS.

You can't rule out LS from an x-ray.

IMHO it is not a good thing to subject a dog to a procedure that causes that much pain and requires morphine, ace, or gabapentin afterwards -- let alone all three. I'd skip those procedures in future and find a wiser vet.

ETA: Of course it's possible that his pain has nothing to do with his adjustment. That is one reason that I would advocate full diagnostics, including MRI, before using chiropractic on a dog with suspected back pain. For example, if the dog has a ruptured disc -- which you also can't rule out from an x-ray -- you risk *increasing* damage with chiropractic procedures.

:nod

Please don't beat yourself up ... you were trying the very best for your pup. I hope he recovers quickly and is as good as new. :wub:

Edited by eaglflyt

Checking on your boy today and hoping he is much much better.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest bigorangedog

Thanks, y'all. :colgate

We are moving forward. We are slowly getting back to the mobility he had BEFORE the chiropractic. I'm giving Deramaxx now, no narcotic pain meds. Even from this morning I see some improvement. He's resting more comfortably, more willing to get up. Still painful, for sure, but we are moving in the right direction.

So, I can only conclude that it WAS the chiropractic that caused the pain. (Topped off by bad reaction to the morphine.)

I'm looking into having a certified pet massage therapist visit him here at home next week. Less "invasive" and possibly could help him. I've been massaging his muscles myself, but of course I don't really know what I'm doing.

Hoping that he is better yet tomorrow. I've been apologizing like crazy to him for taking him to the chiro vet, and telling him we're going to get him feeling happy again. At the moment, I'm happy that he's able rest well.

Guest eaglflyt

I'm so glad he's feeling better. Hugs and prayers for Apollo and special hugs for you! You're incredible with all your pups ... and your lovely family, too! :)

Thank goodness he's feeling better. Sending hugs and scritchies to both of you. Well, maybe the scritchies should be just for him ..... :lol

Edited by Batmom