We Have Hooks.....yet Again!

Today was Tessies yearly check up, and heartworm/lyme test. Kare Bear went along for heartworm/lyme test and rabies. Kare Bear had a fecal flotation done in February which was clear, but I took a sample in for both girls anyway not knowing if the vets office would want it or not. Left the vets with negative results on the heartworm and lyme tests, but got a call this afternoon saying they found hooks in Kare Bear, but not Tessie.

Kare Bear battled hooks about a year ago and it was partly my fault for stopping their interceptor during the dead of winter. Since Karys last diagnosis and treatment, I have been "absolutely religious" about their monthly interceptor doses. Todays test was done just three days prior to their next dose which is due on Tuesday, which is maybe why they were able to pick up on them this time and not on the previous test.

So we go to war yet again with these nasty little buggers. She got her interceptor today, and in two weeks will get a worm med which I need to pick up next week. They told me what she was going to get, but for the life of me...I cannot remember what that is now. We will do this regime twice, followed by a re-test which I will be sure to have done very close before her next dose of interceptor is due.

Proof yet again, that interceptor is not foolproof! :(

If you do a search here, you'll find that hookworms can be a pain to be rid of, and there's good information in those threads. I am still trying to rid Stella of hooks, so wash bedding weekly and dose Panacur for three or five days every three weeks.

Guest eaglflyt

Interceptor is a dewormer that works on the day you give it. It does not last for 30 days. So, it is possible for your dog to get reinfected in the days following deworming as the month goes along. It will just be dewormed again with the next dose. It helps to prevent heavy parasite loads with a long standing infestation. It does not keep your dog completely worm free for the 30 days between doses.