Peeing In The House- Help!

Guest Avisher224

Guest Avisher224

I've had my wonderful greyhound Orion for three weeks now. He was completely fine with pottying outside for the first couple weeks. We have been crating him during the day when we're at work and just muzzling him on the weekends if we're gone for shorter amounts of time. However, last weekend we went out on Saturday evening- probably for about 7 hours and came back to two accidents in the house... I felt that one was sort of my fault- I fed him about a half an hour before we left and I should have known that he likes to go out about a hour to an hour and a half after he eats. Unfortunately, I think that incident may have started a trend, because I have found accidents twice this week! It's in the morning, so I think he's doing it before we get up, which is weird because after the first couple days he's been fine making it through the night without needing to go out. This morning I didn't hear him getting up or moving around, so it's like he's not even bothering to try and "ask", he just goes out in the living room and does his thing.

I'm not really sure of how to correct this behavior- especially since I'm not catching him doing it. I really don't want to crate him at night since he's in it all day... actually, I wanted to try and transition him to staying in the spare bedroom with the gate during the day but I just don't think he'll cooperate at this point! Help!!

Guest Wasserbuffel

When I first started letting Jayne sleep out of the crate I would have her leashed to my arm. That way if she had to go she couldn't get more than a couple feet from her bed. And when she started moving about I would wake up and be able to take her out. Now she sleeps through the night without any problems and I don't have her leashed to me.

Guest scfilby

Can you restrict his movements at night? If he sleeps in your room, close the door or baby gate.

Once a hound figures out they can to go in the house, they can continue to want to go in the spot. Just because he is going in the living room does not necessarily mean he will go in other areas of the house.

We have a spare room that Cy figured out makes a great place to poop. If the door is left open to the room, he sees this as an invitation.. He will not go anywhere else in the house.

Guest Samantha

I would also make sure that there is no residue left from where he pee'd in the house, just the faintest wiff off pee can make them want to go in the same spots over and over again unfortunately.

Keep him with you in the bedroom at night so you can hear if he's up fussing around. Also make sure he's good and empty before you go to bed -- make sure he pees more than once at that last out.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Jubilee251

I would also make sure that there is no residue left from where he pee'd in the house, just the faintest wiff off pee can make them want to go in the same spots over and over again unfortunately.

Yup - if you're unsure of whether you got everything got, throw a dogbed to cover the area. We did this with Molly when she had her (very few) accidents.

What about a belly band as a training tool?

Edited by Jubilee251

Guest Paige12

I agree have him checked for the UT, our girl Lena came to us with a horrific one. Also have you tried "Nil_odor" ? you can google it online. It is a very small bottle that is one of the few things we have found that really does neutralize any urine or feces scents. It is inexpensive, usually shipping is more, but I can tell you it has been around forever and it is very good at cleaning up all residue so they don't remark, etc. Hope this helps, thats a very frustrating problem.