Eating Grass And Gagging

Guest angel

Guest angel

My grey had amputation last September for OS right front leg. He has done extremely well. However - he is eating grass all the time and gagging. But not just after he eats grass. He will gag throughout the day as well - maybe two or three times sometimes. He sometimes poops grass as well.

He only vomited once when he has gagged. It was a huge ball of vegetation.

My worst fear is that the gagging could be related to lung metastases.

He's going to the vet for a check-up next week. I don't know if I want him to get an X-ray. I'm not ready to find out. Too difficult.

Any advice/similar story?

Guest Energy11

Hard to say, really. Grass DOES make them gag, and it can be ongoing, if they have just a blade or two stuck in their throats.

I'd try to keep him away from the grass, and hopefully, that might be the problem. The gagging, could be related to lung mets, but there is usually coughing, too.

Hope he is just fine, and it is the grass thing! Good luck and lots of love!

A lot of dogs will eat grass when they have an upset stomach. You might try giving him something for his tummy, like Pepcid and see if that helps. I think though if I were that concerned, I'd take him into the vet. I know it's hard, but sometimes you just have to do it, for his sake.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest tbrodzel

Hmm, my Dog eats grass whenever we are outside but I never see her vomit it up, strange. She is obsessed with grass.

My Brynna will hack several times throughout the day. She rarely if ever hacks anything up, but it is really freaky when she does it. She has been to the vet twice now and always has a clean bill of health, so I have no idea what is up with her hacking or grass eating.

If you end up going to the vet I would be interested in hearing what he/she has to say.

Hope all goes well with your pup.

Hard to say, really. Grass DOES make them gag, and it can be ongoing, if they have just a blade or two stuck in their throats.

I'd try to keep him away from the grass, and hopefully, that might be the problem. The gagging, could be related to lung mets, but there is usually coughing, too.

Hope he is just fine, and it is the grass thing! Good luck and lots of love!

I agree. I would set up the appt for the x-ray for next week say, but in the meantime, don't allow any grass eating and see if it resolves. Trying pepcid might also be a good idea.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest eaglflyt

I'd suggest using a muzzle with stool cup or duct tape just across the end so no grazing can happen when outside. I'm really hoping it's just grass eating that you're dealing with.

Guest angel

Good idea - I'll muzzle him when he's in the backyard. When I walk him on a leash I'll keep him away from grass.

I'm so afraid......If he's still gagging after that, it could mean the worst.

Thanks everyone for your input.