Lexy And Gunner Both Have A Balding (Thin Hair) Spot...

Guest Hollys2hounds

Guest Hollys2hounds

Could both Lexy (female) and Gunner (male) have "stud tail"?

Both Lexy and Gunner have had physicals recently, and thank goodness they are both doing well.

I have noticed though, that they both have a small balding / thinning spot about 6" down their tails. The area is about 2" in length on both of them.

The area is not red, and does not give them any discomfort. It just looks like the hair is rubbing off on part of their tails.

What else could this be?

Both dogs are in excellent spirits, eat well, play well etc.

Thanks for any imput.

I will be seeing the vet for Lexy's dental in the morning

It's called "stud tail" and it's perfectly normal. Vestigial scent gland IIRC. Do a search on "stud tail" in this forum and you'll find more.

Oh, yeah, and girls can have it too.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Hollys2hounds

Thanks Batmom, that is what I thought, but I wasn't sure girlies could have it too!

I tried doing a search, but it seemed most of the dogs in question were boys.

Kind regards!

Holly

Mandy used to have it, but over the years all her bald spots (back of legs, stud tail, and belly) have filled in.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Yup, perfectly normal stud tail. Most of ours have it too.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest FreddyGirl

Holly,

Freddy, Gunner's sister has this. Actually, 3 of my 4 have this, Freddy, Bobbi and Corey.

For Gt folk, that is 2 girls and one boy.

Freddy's started out as small and spread much longer. Hard to see now as her tail is so fluffy tht it is covered.

Nancy