Hind Legs Causing Sad Boy

Guest BayberryFam

Guest BayberryFam

Our boy will be 4 next month. Yesterday he started letting out a whine when he was getting up from being sprawled out on the floor. Now today when I came home, his hind legs were swaying out to the side when walking. Like he wanted to walk straight but his hind legs swung out a bit. Then he had a hard time trying to lay back down, as in it looked like he was in pain. Has anyone seen this? Not asking for medical advise, as we will be taking him to the vet if this keeps up, but didn't know if maybe anyone has witnessed this. Thanks.

Guest Energy11

In a four yr old, THIS IS A VETERINARY MATTER! Something isn't right.

In an older dog, you'd probably be looking at Lumbar Stenosis or severe arthritis, but in a four yr old... please see the vet!

There are many things that could be causing this, including tickborne diseases.

Sending love and hugs to your "sad boy!"

Guest SusanP

Crossing fingers here that the vet can get to the bottom of it very quickly and treat it easily! Can you get him to the vet today, perhaps on an emergency basis? Please keep us posted. :grouphug

Guest PawPrintsLife

Yes, please let us know what you find out about him. I'm hoping for an easy and complete recovery.

Rebecca Forrest

Guest BayberryFam

Well we went on our first vet visit and they couldn't have been nicer! They believe that he has hurt a disc in his back. With some steroids, muscle relaxers, and a week with out running wild, he should be back to normal. Thanks for all your reply's, and if I remember I'll update again when he's back to good health.

Before my Greys, I had a sweet Beagle - who was a ball of energy. She would leap off the stairs onto the wood floors and splay......One day I came home and she was all hunched and howling in pain. I couldn't even touch her belly - thought she had something internal going on. Turns our it was a disc - and steroids and anti-inflamatories did the trick....

Very happy for you that it appears to be something like this!! Best of luck for continued recovery.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BayberryFam

Well it's been two weeks and he's about 95%. We aren't sprinting around the yard together again yet, but that shouldn't be too much longer now. Thanks all for your thoughts!