Cleaning Airtight Container

Let me set the stage a bit before I ask my question.

Last Fall, the airtight container we used for our dog food got a bit of water in it. I had planned on cleaning it right away, but we were late to meet someone. I decided to get it later. Shortly after (the next day, if I remember right), our grey Gwen was in a tragic accident at the house and subsequently passed away. Our world seemed to stop. We continued to love on our grey, Maya, but everything seemed to not matter as much any more.

Months went by, and we began to live our normal lives again. And that's when I remembered the airtight container… which had now been sitting with a small amount of dog food and water in it for a LONG time. I opened it and was disgusted by the smell. I flushed it out the best I could that night without retching, and filled it with dish soap and water to let it soak. I finally got to fully cleaning it yesterday afternoon.

I rinsed out all the old soapy water and cleaned with new soapy water (basic dish soap). After rinsing it, I cleaned/scrubbed it with undiluted Nature's Miracle. I then rinsed the NM from the container, and let it sit in the Texas sun to dry.

So here's the question: Do you think it is safe to use? Are there other steps I should take before using it?

Thanks for the advice.

-Joel

Edited by IAMs

Gwen (07/2003-11/2009),  * Maya (cancer , 06/2003-10/2013), *Ollie (cancer 07/2013 - 10/2018), *Azalea (cancer, 7/6/2015 - 5/20/2019), Ashe (cancer 04/2011 - 03/2020)

*Aztec (sister of Inca, 12/1996-08/2011), *Inca (half-Siamese kitty ,12/1996 - 9/2016)

Guest Energy11

I'd BLEACH it with 50/50 bleach/water, and rinse VERY well, and let it air dry. Bleach kills everything, including mold, and many bacterias and viruses, too. Good Luck!

Don't see any need to bleach it -- the sun will have killed any molds. If it smells nice and fresh now, can't see there'd be a problem.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.