Broken Tooth

Guest Lovey_Hounds

Guest Lovey_Hounds

Wow...... just wow.... I came across some un-expected cash and decided to make Vegas a consult appointment to see about getting his teeth cleaned. Guess what he did tonight he snapped off a lower canine tooth! :headwall

He already has a snapped off tooth (upper canine) that most likley needs to be taken out, it was like that when we adopted him and so far hasnt bothered him but we are getting it checked again anyways. My girls have great teeth and Vegas obviously doesnt... no matter how much i brush them and give him bones and bully sticks he has crappy teeth.

Is there anything i should do to until monday for him? should i give him something incase it hurts?

Guest Fasave

Not much you can at this point but watch for signs of pain. If you suspect problems with out teeth, I would make sure that you go to a vet that can take dental x-rays. I just went through this with my 4 year old who had broken a bottom canine. He also has very "worn" teeth. With x-rays they were able to identify if any of the other teeth had issues. He lost one other molar but reports were all other teeth were "alive" so with daily brushings, the vet said he would likely not need another dental in his lifetime.

I would watch how he's eating which should help you to know if he's hurting. If you think he is, I would give him some Tramadol if you have it on hand.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

murray had three of his four canine removed during his last dental. these teeth were worn down to nubs when we adopted him. during the dental we learned that all three teeth were cracked and broken down to the roots probably from crate chewing in his days before we adopted him. one of those teeth also had an abscess starting to form. we had no idea that any of this was going on and we were shocked when our vet called us in the middle of his dental to tell us that three teeth would have to come out. murray has beautiful teeth for a greyhound. you would think that he would have shown signs of being in pain but we never saw any indication of that.

Edited by 45MPHK9

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Guest Lovey_Hounds

I decided to soak his kibble into mush and mix it with his raw dinner tonight, i did give him something to help with his tooth as it seems to be bugging him. he doesnt want to drink cold water and i dont blame him. I am not giving him anything even remotely crunchy until we see the vet monday morning, i really dont want him doing anything worse to it.

Hopfully the evaluation goes well on monday and we will see where we go from there.