Ziggy Had To Go To Ohio State

Ziggy has had problems with his left eye since 2007. We have tried many different medications but only the most expensive drops seem to work. We were told that it was pannus. Dr. Wilkie told us that pannus usually affect both eyes. So, he thinks that he never had pannus that it has been episcleritis the whole time. A couple of months ago, he had uveitis and had to be treated with different drops. I am so glad that we took him there. I feel so much better now that we know for sure what it is that is bothering his eye.

On another note, we saw a couple of other greyhounds there! A gentleman had his little female there. Her name was Cleo. Another lady had her grey there to be checked for cancer. He had a limp and she was afraid it was osteo. I sure hope not.

There were lots of different kinds of dogs. There were 2 separate people there with mastiffs. They were both sweet dogs. There was a great dane, a standard poodle, a boxer named Blizzard(I bet you can't guess what color he was!), 2 Australian shepherds, and several mutts. It was fun to pet them and talk to the owners. Dog owners are usually nice it seems. At the end, a young man came in with his pit bull. The poor thing had been attacked by another pit bull at a dog park. The other owner had tried to pull his dog off and it just made the wound bigger. It was dripping blood all over and what was scary was that it was also spraying in little droplets. I told the young man that I hoped his dog was okay. I am not certain that it was going to make it. It was bleeding really bad. Please keep that young man in your prayers.

When I take Joe in to give blood, I usually stay and wait for him. So before he goes back to donate, we make the rounds of the (very large) waiting room and get pets from everyone who wants to. Joe would make a great therapy dog -- he just stands there and stretches his neck down (neck rubs are his favorite) so people get the right idea.

Everyone there is just incredible. I have never had a bad experience or even witnessed someone being treated less than professionally. Be warned that if you have to take your pet there, you will be there for a long time. They are excellent, and thorough, but they are not quick or cheap.

The people who take the time and spend the money to go to OSU are as crazy about their pets as we (on this board) are. It is so nice to see the various dogs and talk with their people. Of course, sometimes it is very sad since OSU often sees seriously ill patients.

If anyone can save that poor pit bull, OSU can.

Edited to add: Small droplets sounds like a torn small artery. OSU stocks lots of blood (thanks to my Joey and others like him). So they would get blood into him immediately (no need to wait for blood delivery). It is unlikely that he would die from blood loss once he gets to OSU.

Edited by joejoesmom

Thank you Joejoesmom. I feel better knowing that they do have blood on hand for that poor dog. You know, I have watched Animal Planet and seen the animal cops shows. When you see it in real life, it is truly scarey! I have prayed and prayed for that dog!