Tartar Control

Guest kimmel729

Guest kimmel729

Hello out there!

I am a new greyhound owner so I apologize for asking such a silly and basic question. I was wondering what everyone does for dental cleaning. I have heard that some greyhounds have some pretty awful teeth and they should be brushed once a week. Other people say that giving them the special dental chew treats are enough if the teeth are in good condition. From what I can tell her teeth are fine and it doesn't look like she has bad build up.

What does everyone else do? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can give me :colgate

Guest UESBrindle

I think people will chime in with some wide-ranging ideas: raw bones, teeth brushing, stuff to spray on the teeth, etc.

I brush William's teeth every night before bed.

Last year he had a non-anesthetic dental and she recommended we have a traditional dental because he came to us with really bad teeth and a receding gumline. I find that brushing frequently helps keep most stuff from building up.

Good luck! :)

Guest MyBoys

I actually brush my boys teeth daily, yes, I do it everyday which my vet said is so good for their teeth and gums. I just got into the habit of doing it after dinner each night and is now part of the daily routine. If you start dental care right away IMO it really does help to avoid later problems.

Edited by MyBoys

Sometimes it differs, Misty needed hers brushed everyday without fail and yet Wayne and Lenny are fine with once a week, as long as I don't slack off.

Ekko is going in for her first dental next week and I will probably have to brush hers everyday.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Every day brushing here with some nice stinky chicken-paste. puke.giflol.gif I've got one I HAVE to keep up with (plus he's 13 & I would like to avoid any more dentals) & one with excellent dental health. biggrin.gif They love the taste of it so it's easy enough to do it every day.

They also get raw turkey necks every night. IME, that hasn't been enough to keep any of my hounds teeth clean enough to avoid dentals. So brusha, brusha, brusha! brushteeth.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest Energy11

I "brush" everyday, using Petzlife gel, and then, spray with their spray.

I put the Petzlife gel on a cosmetic pad and rub their teeth and gums with that. I have found brushing is too abrasive for their teeth.

I LOVE THIS PRODUCT, by the way!

Congrats on the new pupper!

Guest kydie

I brush all of their teeth every day :brushteeth I am phobic about teeth, I don't want to put them through any dentals if they don't have to. I also give some type of chew every day :D

Guest FordRacingRon

I put the Petzlife gel on a cosmetic pad and rub their teeth and gums with that. I have found brushing is too abrasive for their teeth.

We used to brush everyday. Now we alternate one day brushing the next day the Petzlife gel. Leia has never had a dental since we brought her home 4 1/2 years ago and her teeth are pretty darn good. She gets a couple of bullysticks a week that keep the molars fresh. She started getting a bit of tarter a year ago and thats when we went to the alternating method (after using the gel for a month on its own). I will say that Petslife gel does really make tarter go away. I bought the spray too but I don't think, for Leia anyhow, the spray does anything. Don't forget to get doggy toothpaste,,,the chicken flavored stuff.

Guest BooBooMama

Another vote for PetzLife. I used to brush BooBoo's teeth every other day with an extra soft bristle toothbrush. She NEVER had plaque again after I started using it.

I also brush every single night. I don't think once a week would do much at all ... plaque turns to tartar in about 48 hours, I think I've read. I also have tried various gels, chews, powders -- Beth has genetically very good teeth for a greyhound, but I'm committed to keeping them that way. Yeah, probably a touch obsessed... I don't even floss my own teeth. :blush

As many will also attest, feeding raw meaty bones like turkey necks several times a week arguably does as much or more than brushing. There are a zillion threads here talking about that if it's a new notion to you.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest isntitgreyt

I too use the Petzlife gel and spray and I love it!! Foxy, Molly, and Jackson will not tolerate me brushing their teeth in a conventional way. I've tried different things to get them to relax but it doesn't happen. I use a Q tip to put the gel on their teeth and a toothbrush on the others.

Guest Fasave

I brush every night. My senior, at 10.5 hasn't had a dental since he came off the track. That was 7.5 years ago. He's in awesome health and I think good dental health contributes to that. I do it before bed and it's just part of the night time routine.

Same here. Both products work really well.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest FullMetalFrank

I used to think that raw meaty bones and such could be enough but I have learned a lot more about canine dental care in the past year or so and now I am a "brush at least every other day" person, along with the raw diet and some of the neat products for blasting plaque and tartar (we like the Petzlife spray.) The raw diet controls MOST of the stuff that gets on my dog's teeth; say, 75%... But it's that other 25%; the plaque that builds up in places where they just don't cover by their gnawing, such as upper canine gumlines and the teeth behind the carnassial molars that brushing helps to control.

It's pretty easy to teach most dogs to allow brushing. My cute Chelsa actually "grins" for me, baring her teeth so I can get all the trouble spots! Start slow using a very soft brush or some gauze wrapped around your finger, and a good canine toothpaste. Expect some bleeding gums at first, it will get better. :)

edited to add: Frank is 10.5, been with us for over 8 years and has not had a dental. He has all his teeth and they are in pretty good shape. A couple of years ago his teeth were beginning to look not-so-pretty and our vet recommended a dental at our next scheduled visit. We started with raw and better dental care right away; next visit his vet remarked that he no longer needed a cleaning, we had done that well!

Edited by FullMetalFrank

Guest leash

I brush Magnums teeth every night since we got him. He actually likes getting it done and any time I brush my teeth he wants his done. I give him the bully sticks and Dental stars as treats to chew on. I am going to have to try the gel everyone is talking about. GNAP website says how important teeth cleaning is in greyhounds.

http://brightbites.com/

Guest krystolla

Where do you get the petzlife gel or spray? And does it work on cats? Hack's teeth look pretty good, but I just brought one of my kitties home from a dental minus five teeth and $500.

I can brush the kitties teeth but . . . it takes about 45 minutes of chasing and cajoling. A quick spray might be easier.

Several years ago, when we owned GreyhoundMagnets.com, we sold PetzLife spray and gel for cleaning dogs' teeth. Recently, I heard about "PLAQUE ATTACK", one of those "as sold on TV" products.

I checked into it and wrote to the owners of PetzLife. They confirmed my suspicions . . . Plaque Attack is the exact same product, just renamed, repackaged and marketed on TV.

You may find these products less expensive ($19.95 for a 3-month supply) than the PetzLife products at Petsmart, etc.

http://www.getPlaqueAttack.com

Mom to Palm City Roxie ("Roxie"). Remembering Heizer Jordan ("Jordan"), DB's PickedtoWin ("Andy"), CB Ectasy ("Ecstasy"), Oshkosh Unafraid ("Tribute"), Arathorn, WV's Imperial ("Abby") and her brother WV's Institute ("Mojo") and KB's Gameboy ("Game Boy"), who've all gone to the Bridge. Working with Austin Greyhound Adoption <austingreyhounds.org>.