Bunnies, Abandon Hope If You're In Our Yard....

Hey all,

My two kids go outside in muzzles to keep them from playing too rough, but it seems that this spring/summer, they've turned into quite the bunny killers. I think it's my younger of the two, as the older one isn't as fast as she is. I don't know if they're getting the bunnies through their muzzles or if they're trampling them to death, but I'd like to reduce the corpses if I can (side note; now that our neighbor installed 3 bird feeders, we also now get birds that leave this mortal coil as a result of flying into our windows!).

I can't imagine there's much I can do beyond getting muzzles with stool guards and maybe spraying some kind of rabbit repellant in the yard, but I'm open to suggestions. Poor Mrs. Sully isn't a fan of baby bunny carnage, although I don't know anyone who is!

Thanks all!

Sully

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

The bunnies will learn soon enough to give your yard a wide berth, or your hounds will take care of the local population. I am one of the "weirdos" that allow my hounds their prize if they catch one. That said, my hounds are very efficient hunters, I have not heard a single "bunny scream", only the aftermath, and they have had about half dozen so far.

What I do to make things a bit more even is I have the hounds wear noisy collars with the tags hanging as well as I do a yard check after dark before I allow them out. I do the yard check actually for skunks, not the bunnies. My boy Bart tried to kill a skunk last year and came up with a throat-full of spray. He did wound the poor creature, but it was through the fence before I could see how much damage my boy had done (big chunk of flesh and fur in his mouth).

Are they just killing them or killing them and eating them? A bunny makes a nice meal for a grey. Lots of nutrients! Hey, it's what they do, so let them have some fun and enjoy a nice little snack! B)

Edited by RWM

Guest KennelMom

This nature's way of weeding out the weak/slow/dim-witted bunnies. Even with a stool guard they can crush them to death...though it does make them harder to catch than unmuzzled. If they are killing them through muzzles, I'm not sure a stool guard will make much of a difference.

I'll never forget the time our dogs discovered a bunny nest in our yard. They thought we'd installed a bunny vending machine for them. Sad day for bunnies. Happy day for greyhounds. Hard day for the humans.

Edited by KennelMom

This nature's way of weeding out the weak/slow/dim-witted bunnies.

B)

The other day, Snowy gobbled up a baby cardinal that had fallen out of its nest. A friend yelled when she saw it and Snowy immediately pupped out the baby cardinal, unharmed. I said, "No big deal, it would have made a nice little snack." :unsure Friends looked at me kinda funny when I said that! B)

Edited by RWM

Guest krystolla

You might try caster oil pellets as bunny repellent -- I've had some luck with keeping the bunnies out of my garden that way. Honestly, though, spring is the season of the young and stupid so if the smell of BIG PREDATOR isn't keeping them out I'm not sure what would. It should get easier as the year goes on and the remaining rabbits are the ones that learned to avoid predators . . . at least until next spring.

Guest kydie

Guess you're upset :huh I say :yay the only good bunny is a dead bunny, I hate them eating my flowers, and veggies,,,, but greys are hunters, I for one am very PROUD of them :thumbs-up

Guest Tes623

We've got a nest of babies in our backyard right now. The babies are cute as can be but I have a feeling they won't be around for very long :(

This is kinda what I figured, really. We check the yard, make some noises before letting the kids out, etc. They don't eat them, but they're thoughtful enough to either 1) leave it where it died (for dad to find and dispose of) 2) bring the baby bunny carnage to the door, or 3) bring the baby bunny carnage in the house. Poor Mrs. Sully had quite the wakeup call that morning!

Sully

Guest MyBoys

When you figure out a way to keep the critters out of your yard PLEASE let me know, our count so far is 2 adult bunny's, 3 baby bunny's and 2 chipmunks :eek Clean up duty is getting a bit rough around here.