Question About Corns

Jack had a corn hulled yesterday. He had been limping, and I was *QUITE* relieved that it was only a corn and not something more evil....

Anyway, I started looking at his other feet yesterday, and found some things that look like they might also be corns. Please take a look at the photos, and tell me what you think. Jack's my first dog to ever have corns, so this is all new for me!

corn.jpg

corn2.jpg

If these are, indeed, more corns, is there anything I should do? He isn't limping on those feet (the pictures are of the front feet)....

The vet didn't look at any of his other feet, just the one that was giving him trouble yesterday.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

They look like corns to me. I think it would help if you dremel them and keep bag balm on them.

Feel better Jack!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

They do look like corns to me as well.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Look like corns to me as well. Take a look at the thread for Murray Avenue Apothecary and their corn cream. With this many, I think it would be well worth it to try this treatment out as opposed to trying to hull all of them.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Look like corns to me as well. Take a look at the thread for Murray Avenue Apothecary and their corn cream. With this many, I think it would be well worth it to try this treatment out as opposed to trying to hull all of them.

I called the pharmacy yesterday, and I'm getting some of the cream. Our vet recommended it; said they've had a lot of luck with it.

Fortunately these ones don't seem to bother Jack. Poor boy. Now I'm wondering if he'd be more active if he didn't have these. He's only four, but the girls have, I think, convinced him that's he is 11 like they are! :lol

ETA: these ones, the ones in the photos, seem a lot "looser" than the one he had hulled...almost as if they are working their way out. Is this what happens? I know so little about the whole corn process....these ones seem loose around the edges, whereas the one he had hulled was literally just a circular area on the pad. Should I try and work these loose ones out? :unsure

Edited by rascalsmom

I'd let the cream do it's work. If it works as well for you as it has others, those will loosen and fall out on their own. Hopefully they'll go away and not come back again. Poor guy, that's a lot of corns! I can't believe they're not hurting him as big as they are. You may find after they're gone he's quite a bit more active!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Now I feel really bad...why didn't I notice these before?? Now that I really look, his paws look so obviously different than the other dogs'...it's all these corns! I admit I have the urge to work on these, but I'm waiting for our cream to come....poor Jack. :(

I wonder if this had anything to do with why he retired...they said he'd 'hurt his leg', but that's all anyone at the farm knew. Maybe he was just limping due to these corns! But surely they'd know about corns if they are greyhound trainers??

They should have noticed them, they definitely know how to treat them. I sure hope the cream works for him.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest MnMDogs

If those that you showed are loose, you may even be able to work them out with your fingers if he lets you. Mork's are pretty deep and need to be dremeled flat. But occasionally one will work it's way out and I can work it out with my nails. Bag balm and softening may help with that.

Guest LindsaySF

If they are loose already I would hull them yourself, then try the cream in the hole.

Here's a page on hulling corns: http://www.grassmere...orn_hulling.htm

Good luck!

Jack had a corn hulled yesterday. He had been limping, and I was *QUITE* relieved that it was only a corn and not something more evil....

Did the vet not notice the other corns? unsure.gif

ETA: I saw your post that the vet didn't look at his other feet. Personally, I would be very upset with my vet. If the dog has one corn chances are he has another. Some dogs only have one, they are lucky, but many dogs get multiple corns. They didn't even bother to look?

Edited by LindsaySF

No, she didn't look at the other feet. Believe me, once I discovered the other THREE corns, I was a bit ticked about that. Still might call them about it.

ETA: this wasn't the vet we usually see...it was another vet in the practice. I usually indicate that I want Dr. "X", but since I just wanted Jack looked at, because of the limp, I didn't specify...and it was Dr. "X"'s day off. So I saw the other vet.

Edited by rascalsmom

I'm taking Jack back in this afternoon, to see our USUAL vet. The technician told me, when I called, that they SHOULD have checked all four paws. :angryfire

Guest BlackandBrindle

Poor Jack! I am glad the tech called and glad that your regular vet is going to see him today. Hang in there. Corns suck but can be dealt with. I'd also suggest getting a therapaw or two for him just in case if he still limps later on. Those things are amazing!

Poor Jack! I am glad the tech called and glad that your regular vet is going to see him today. Hang in there. Corns suck but can be dealt with. I'd also suggest getting a therapaw or two for him just in case if he still limps later on. Those things are amazing!

I have TWO Therapaw booties...and four other little Nike-looking footwear thingies. :lol A DF of mine gave them to me...her greyhounds have left for the bridge, and her male had a lot of foot issues. So we are set! :)

Oh yes, I will be using the cream just as soon as it gets here! It would've been way quicker for me to pick it up (we're 1/2 hour from Pittsburgh) but I really don't like driving in the city, especially to unfamiliar parts. I know the general area where the pharmacy is, but not the SPECIFIC area. So I'm having them mail it.

And they say a picture is worth 1000 words...well then, here's 2000 words. Jack's paws post-hulling.

cornsafter.jpg

This was the one that was REALLY big:

cornafter.jpg

I'm glad those nasty things are out!

Guest Swifthounds

They look like corns to me. The vet probably did see them, but hulling is not without risk of infection, so if the corns aren't bothering the dog, it's unlikely the vet would suggest it. Where the corn causes pain or lameness, hulling can bring the immediate relief that creams or the duct tape method won't.

They look like corns to me. The vet probably did see them, but hulling is not without risk of infection, so if the corns aren't bothering the dog, it's unlikely the vet would suggest it. Where the corn causes pain or lameness, hulling can bring the immediate relief that creams or the duct tape method won't.

The first vet, who took out the first corn on Monday, never even looked at Jack's other paws. So she did NOT see these three corns.

Guest Swifthounds

That's quite odd. If you paid an exam fee in addition to whatever the cost was for the hulling, next time I would insist on a full exam - might as well while you're there.

I'm always amazed at what vets will observe and not comment on when you're not specifically seeking out that information.

That's quite odd. If you paid an exam fee in addition to whatever the cost was for the hulling, next time I would insist on a full exam - might as well while you're there.

I'm always amazed at what vets will observe and not comment on when you're not specifically seeking out that information.

Yes, I did pay an "office visit" fee or whatever they call it. It was more than the cost of the hulling. She did listen to his heart, etc....but she didn't look at all four paws. That's why I called and asked about it today; after I found three MORE corns, it was making me angry that she hadn't looked at all of his paws.

The other vet, the one we usually see, examined him pretty thoroughly today, looked at all FOUR paws, and hulled those three corns. And I wasn't charged anything at all. :)

Edited by rascalsmom

Guest Swifthounds

Yes, I did pay an "office visit" fee or whatever they call it. It was more than the cost of the hulling. She did listen to his heart, etc....but she didn't look at all four paws. That's why I called and asked about it today; after I found three MORE corns, it was making me angry that she hadn't looked at all of his paws.

The other vet, the one we usually see, examined him pretty thoroughly today, looked at all FOUR paws, and hulled those three corns. And I wasn't charged anything at all. :)

At least they made good on the mistake. :colgate

Guest LindsaySF

I'm glad they resolved it! :)

Let us know how the cream works out! Hopefully since you had them hulled beforehand that will help a bit.