Sherman Is Panting A Lot For Unknown Reasons

Guest Shermanator

Guest Shermanator

I noticed Sherman has been panting a lot since last night. For no apparent reason. We live in the desert, and he does back in the hot sun, and come in to cool down, and he pants for that; however, this was different.

He was panting for most of the night. I took a nap @ when I woke up around 6, I heard him in his bed next to me, panting quite a bit. He did not seem to be in distress, no crying, whimpering, or any behavioral changes. He was lethargic last night, but I do not think it was anything outside the norm. At first I though Sherman was trying to scam me into a 2nd dinner (DH went out last night before I came home, and already fed them dinner,) but the panting was consistent- pant for about 10 min, relax for about 10-20 min. Pant, relax, pant, relax. He was not warm, and not in distress. (As far as I could tell, I chalked it up to nothing.)

However, this morning, we took our early morning walk, and Sherman was fine. Except he pooped on the walk. He very rarely does this. And it was big D. And what bothered me the most was I saw a dark, rusty coloring in some of his poop while I was picking it up. Could that have been blood? He was not a lot, but I've never seen that coloration in poop before. ( :blush Sigh, everyone can understand what I am saying- we all know way too much about our dog's poop. :colgate )

After the walk and Sherman calmed down, he seemed ok. However, I noticed the panting started again. Not consistent, but off and on. No crying, or whimpering, either. However, come to think of it I have not seen him drink today. How do I make him drink?

I boiled some rice, and he ate that for breakfast. He gave me a super burp (one to put my husband to shame,) and then back to panting. Is this something I should really worry about?

Thanks!

Guest EmilyandSioux

If he is still doing this in the morning you might want to run him into your vet. I would watch him tonight and if he doesn't show anymore symptoms then I would go to the vet in the morning. I wouldn't go to the e-vet tonight.

If he is still doing this in the morning you might want to run him into your vet. I would watch him tonight and if he doesn't show anymore symptoms then I would go to the vet in the morning. I wouldn't go to the e-vet tonight.

Agree. If he's not overheated (assuming your home cools down at night), panting might be a sign of pain/discomfort. Possibly blood in the stool, too. Hopefully it's nothing serious. :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest TeddysMom

Have you taken his temp? If he is not drinking, I would watch closely for dehydration. Is his stomach hard or does he show signs of pain when you press on it? You might try some sodium free chicken or beef broth to see if he will drink that. I hope it is just a little upset tummy.

It sounds like there's pain. This kind of panting happened with Shane some months back, and his heart rate was way up. (Have you checked that? That can help distinguish a sick dog from a just-hot dog.) Two vets couldn't find the pain source, but they gave him a muscle relaxer for a few days, and that took care of it.

Sherman's diarrhea and its color sound like either he has a GI issue or the pain has been affecting him for too long. I agree you should take his temp too. I'd call or see a vet and be prepared to report all this information.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Shermanator

Unfortunately- I do not have something to take his temp. :) The battery died on our thermometer and we never replaced it.

He started drinking this afternoon. He's drinking, so that's good. He's also eating rice I cooked. :)

We had to go out this evening, and left them alone. They have a dog door, so I cleared the backyard before we left. When I came home, I found 2 piles. I am not sure who they were from, but being in the 105 degree afternoon sun, they blackened up, so I couldn't see anything. (MY DH would would have a fit if he knew I was looking through their poop in the bathroom. :blush

He seems to have perked up. I am still calling the vet tomorrow for a check up.

:) Thanks

It sounds like there's pain. This kind of panting happened with Shane some months back, and his heart rate was way up. (Have you checked that? That can help distinguish a sick dog from a just-hot dog.) Two vets couldn't find the pain source, but they gave him a muscle relaxer for a few days, and that took care of it.

Sherman's diarrhea and its color sound like either he has a GI issue or the pain has been affecting him for too long. I agree you should take his temp too. I'd call or see a vet and be prepared to report all this information.

Oh, I did check his heart rate, and looked all over for lesions, or bumps, and prodding around his entire body, looking for a pain source. Nothing. His heart rate was fine, and he never indicated anywhere I touched gave him pain.

Have you taken his temp? If he is not drinking, I would watch closely for dehydration. Is his stomach hard or does he show signs of pain when you press on it? You might try some sodium free chicken or beef broth to see if he will drink that. I hope it is just a little upset tummy.

Yea, I poked and prodded his tummy with no response. He did start to drink water this afternoon- I watched him take several long drinks. I also have been checking his gums, and he seems to be okay.

When I returned home this evening, right there, barking his head off with Patton in anticipation of my opening the front door. Normal behavior - maybe he's feeling better? :)

Guest racergirl435

Sounds a lot like what my Seymour has been doing since Saturday morning. Same type of symptoms and poop too. His pooh is still the same rust color it's been since yesterday morning and it looks like it's got mucous in it too. My neighbors probably think I'm weird for poking around in his pooh. Yesterday morning I fed him boiled chicken and rice and a couple of hours later he asked to go out and then puked it all right up, undigested, along with a nice clump of grass. He's regularly been waking me up with his panting asking to go out. He goes out, paces around for a little bit and does his best to squeeze something out. He seemed to have absolutely no energy this morning when I took the dogs out and almost wasn't interested in eating. I hadn't given him any food since yesterday morning. Hopefully, he will keep this morning's breakfast down. Now, I am just waiting for the vet's office to open at 8:00am so I can take him in. I'll be staying home with him again today.

How's the Shermanator doing today?

And how about Seymour?

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Shermanator

We ended up not going to the vet. Monday he had a great day- no panting, and back to his normal self. His eyes were bright and clear, he was highly alert, and no panting. :) What ever was bothering has passed. Maybe is was just an upset tummy? We are still feeling rice, which he inhales, and is drinking at his normal pace. (DH works from home, so he monitored him all day.)

I work from home today, so he'll sleep with me in my office, and I will monitor him. If any symptoms come back, we're going to the vet no matter what.

Thank you for thinking of Sherman!