First Time

Guest saltwaterron

Guest saltwaterron

today was the first time since we have had riley (2 years) that she potted in her crate. let her out this morning about 8 and fed her and put her in her crate. we came home from church to find a soiled crate. she had pushed her quilt away from the mess and was not near it. when let out her stool was runny like water. i guess it was an upset stomach. think i may have given her too many de-hydrated sweet potato chips. i guess after 2 years i'm just wondering what happened and why.

Could have just been a tummy upset and she couldn't hold it any more. Watch and see if it becomes a pattern every time you leave. If so, it may be a little separation anxiety. For now I'd go with the upset tummy.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest saltwaterron

prefer to crate while gone. have no reason other than peace of mind. i am going with the upset tummy thing. there has never been any separation anxiety since day 1. i have been blessed that this is the only "major" problem since adopting her.

My dogs got the runs from the sweet potato chips. Could be the culprit. :dunno

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest SusanP

If it continues, vet can usually help diarrhea quickly with meds and or something like the Iams low residue diet for a couple of days. Watch for signs of dehydration, lethargy, diarrhea that doesn't go away after a day or so.

Guest rachel2025

Our boy has only messed his crate twice in the 1.5 years we've had him -- both times due to an upset tummy. Hope she is feeling better!

I suspect that it was an isolated case of an upset stomach. The fact that she moved the soiled blanket away from herself is a good sign.

I have one that does that, too. This is a dog that WILL NOT mess his crate unless he has NO OTHER OPTION. I joke that he would hold it for days if he had to, rather than mess his crate. But if he has to, he puts it in a corner, then rolls his blankets onto it, so he does not get any on him. In the almost-six years we've had him, I can count on one hand, with fingers left over, how many times he's had accidents!

What's most ironic about it is, he is my dirtiest dog! :lol I swear, he could get dirty, immediately following a bath, while standing still in a surgical suite. He'd find a way! :lol

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.