Introducing To Other Greys

Guest heath1970

Guest heath1970

Good friends of mine want to introduce their two Italian greys to my full-fledged grey, and I'm a little nervous. My guy came to me "cat, kid, and other dog-friendly" five years ago. However, since I've had him he hasn't had interaction with other dogs apart from the occasional run-in when we go out, and he shies away from other pooches. I'm terrified he'd attack my friends' little ones. Does anyone have any advice?

I am the worst one to ever give advice on something like this, but I would like to caution you on being terrified.

One thing I do know is that they pick up on our emotions.

And as well as I think I know my own dogs, I will always muzzle on a first meeting until we're all comfortable

Good luck

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Personally I'd be more concerned about the little ones getting the greyhounds. They just at ankle height to nip the hounds legs. When I introduced my hounds to our JRT Jilly Bean, she was muzzled and so were the hounds. This way no one got nipped. You can muzzle your hounds but that's not going to protect them from the Iggy's.

There are a few iggy owners on this board. Hopefully some of them will come in with comments.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Meet on neutral ground. Muzzle your grey. Muzzle the other two. Allow your grey to meet just one of the little Italian greyhounds at a time lest they 'gang up' - most of the problems come from showing off. Eg. my last dog showed 2 visiting dogs how to catch my cat 'properly' and she'd never have done that on her own if they hadn't been chasing it.