Left Rear Foot Pad

I picked up Da Vid from a new pet lodge today and he is limping. It looks like they let him run for a long time on a "agility mat"..what ever that is and his paw pad is really messed up. Half of it is gone.. it is not bleeding right now. I have Bag Balm, pads and vet tape. Should I just leave it alone or doctor it up for tonight?? What about for walks tomorrow? Thanks so much for the information.

If he's not worrying at it I would keep it super clean and let the air hit it. When Rainy sliced her pad in half we wrapped it and kept cleaning it, etc. Took 3 weeks to heal. Sunshine takes her own bandages off and has moderately licked at her pad injuries and they seem to heal in half the time. Sometimes they just know what to do. :-) just rush to the vet if it gets hot and infected.

And I would be PISSED if I picked my dog up with that injury and they didn't even try to bandage it.

And for walks put a booting on if he's not limping. Otherwise no walkies! Only potty trips and some big bones to chew for energy release.

------

Jessica

Roscoe's has many injuries to his pads. If it's rubbed off a few layers, it's not bleeding proper, but it's raw. Because it's raw, I'd keep it covered right now. As he walks he'll just end up getting carpet fibers and dirt, etc stuck on it. Make sure it's clean, put a little anti-biotic ointment on it and put a light bandage on. Tomorrow as long as he's hanging out, I'd let it air out. Put a baby sock on his foot when going out to potty to help keep it clean. If he's limping or uncomfortable, skip the leisure walk. Once the rawness dries out a little then as long as there's no problems at that point I'd let nature take it's course. Just keep your eye on it.

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

Guest Energy11

I, too, would be "pissed," if I picked my dogs up with an injury. I ran the kennel at my vets in Florida, and we rarely had injuries. IF we did, the vet, or I, per the vet's orders, treated it immediately.

Like everyone else said, you should be able to treat this and wait to see your vet till Monday, BUT, ANY vet bills you incur, SHOULD BE PAID by the facility you boarded your dog at! You MIGHT need antibiotics, usually Keflex, to prevent infection. Sending lots of hugs!

Torn Pads; Pulled Nails, Corns, and other foot injuries:

One of THE most common injuries to your greyhounds are foot injuries. For torn pads, pulled or broken off nails, clean the wound with antibacterial soap and water, blot dry. Apply Trypzyme-V ointment or spray, or triple antibiotic ointment to the wound.*You can stop bleeding from pulled toe nails with Quik Stop. Cover with a clean toddler sock (*usually shoe size 3-8.5), and tape the sock on loosely (*too tight will cut off the circulation to the foot ... you should be able to slide you pinkie finger between the tape and sock with ease) with tape, preferably, Transpore clear tape. Cover with a bootie. I use the high booties available from The Voyagers: http://www.k9apparel.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=5. Usually, a torn nail will fall off in a matter of days, but it is advisable to see your veterinarian for a course of antibiotics and follow-up for the injury. For small objects stuck in the pad like glass, and other debris, soaking in Epsom Salts helps greatly, and sometimes, the objects will come out on their own.

Thanks Dee and everyone else. I ordered booties from The Voyagers and hopefully will get them this week. It really makes me mad as the owner told me that being a greyhound he should have tough paws..Told her that he had raced on sand and that his feet were about as tough as a baby's bottom...Guess I will need to find another boarding place. Thanks os much for the information!!

Guest KennelMom

Let it be. Make sure it stays clean, but just let it heal on it's own. If your dog is a new retiree, try to build up the toughness of his pads if you want him to be able to run and play for extended times. Even then you can still get an injured pad. A torn pad is a pretty minor injury...I can't imagine its even worth a vet visit at all.

eta: hold off on walks for now, obviously. Turn out to grass only. Minimize walking on cement or paved surfaces as that pad will be very tender until it heals.

Edited by KennelMom

Guest Energy11

Thanks Dee and everyone else. I ordered booties from The Voyagers and hopefully will get them this week. It really makes me mad as the owner told me that being a greyhound he should have tough paws..Told her that he had raced on sand and that his feet were about as tough as a baby's bottom...Guess I will need to find another boarding place. Thanks os much for the information!!

I got the forwarded message from Kathy, and also sent you a PM with my personal email. I LOVE The Voyager's Booties, and our Staggerlee (**has nasty corns) wears them on his walks! They are good to have on hand for foot and pad injuries, and of course, toddler socks. :-)) Good Luck, and send me a personal email if you need anything else! Dee ...

Ours have pretty tough pads, because our terrain here has a lot of rocks, but, as I mentioned above, my Staggerlee has corns, so he wears booties on his walks. Good Luck! smile.gif

Guest Maddyr24

Oh man, foot problems are something I can relate to!

I would def just keep him off it and keep it clean. Sagan had some serious foot stuff - we ended up getting some great white antibacterial powder that helps keep it clean. short walks and keep an eye on him to make sure he isn't licking it.