Swollen Leg

Guest WYOwhy

Guest WYOwhy

Avery had his teeth cleaned today. We got home about an hour ago, and after a drink of water he went straight to sleep. Just noticed when he woke up for dinner that his right front leg is slightly swollen. He seems to be limping a tiny bit and overall a little stiff in all his limbs. He also seems a little groggy and whiney. Is this normal post-dental, or should I be worried?

Is it the same leg that would have be used for any IV lines? I'd say try to call your vet because swelling has not happened with nay of mine.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest EmilyandSioux

I wouldn't worry about him being groggy. They usually are just like people are after surgery. Watch the front leg. It is probably where the IV Cattheter was and it could be that it wasn't in the vein really well and there was some leakage. Call the vet in the morning and let them know and they should be able to tell you. As for tonight you might want to try a WARM not hot compress to make it feel a little better. He will like the attention too!! Just watch it for the night it proably just some fluid that leaked out while he was out for surgery. It happens occassionally.

Guest Energy11

The swelling, like the others have said, is most likely from the IV catherater. Yes, warm compresses should do it, but if it continues to swell, or becomes red and hot, CALL THE VET, as it could be an infection starting.

Good Luck!

Guest WYOwhy

Thanks. I'll put a warm compress on it right now and keep an eye on it tonight. Silly Avery, loves to be a little mello-dramatic. I'll hope he's just exaggerating the recovery process.