Dry Skin

I give my greyhound 1,000mg pills of fish oil each day for his dry skin, which seems to help (he's on a raw meat diet with steamed veggies, oat flakes, apple and garlic--ugh). It's still dry-ish, though. When I shampoo him with oatmeal shampoo (ca 1x/month, and I only wash him once with it, not twice) though, he really sheds dandruff like mad for two days or so and his skin on his thighs is super dry. Should I up the amount of fish oil, or use a different shampoo, or use some moisturizer, if there is such a thing? Any other supplements?

Thoughts on this may vary, but according to my vet, 8000mg is what's needed daily.

That's the mg I use for Wayne and the results have been amazing. I don't use fish oil caps but the required mg would be the same

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

From a vet I know, you can give 4,000 mg. of fish oil per day. I usually give 2,000 in the morning and 2,000 in the afternoon. It works great. Just a little caution though, don't raise the dose all at once or you may encounter loose stools. I added 1,000 mg. per week until we reached 4,000 mg. It's also great for their heart.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

What worked for my dog with a similar condition was quiter simple: 1/2 tsp per day of cold pressed wheatgerm oil and Sebocalm shampoo. The shampoo only needed to be used 3 times over a month and hasn't been needed since. The dog got a nice shiny healthy coat visibly started after just 2 weeks of treatment. The Vitamin E in the wheatgerm oil may be more readily taken up. Fish oil had failed to remedy the condition.

Guest DoofBert

For 4 out 5 of our hounds, regular fish oil works fine.... However, with Bert, we get better response with vet formulat 3-6-9 oil formula.

Or you might want to try adding just plain old olive oil (about a tbl) to his food...

Another thought... make certain that all shampoo is rinsed out... a groomer friend told me rinse until you think you've rinsed enough and then rinse some more.

Guest mcsheltie

I give 4000 mg per day. All fish oil isn't created equal. Grizzly salmon oil is one of the best. You can get it from the Greyhoundgang and help support her rescue efforts at the same time :)

I think the best shampoo for a GH is a moisturizing cat shampoo. I still sometimes use a conditioner or a leave-in conditioner afterward. I have used several oatmeal shampoos that were drying.