Senior Question

Guest Fasave

Guest Fasave

My first greyhound is 10.5 and due for his annual exam. He's in good health, great energy and appetite. He has a history of soft issue sarcomas, corns and over the Winter had a couple interesting episodes with his breathing (maybe colds?) but is fine at this time. My question is are there specific questions and things I should be asking my vet now that he is in double digits? I will ask to run a senior panel. He's been on fish oil and glucosomine since I adopted him 7 years ago. I feed high quality food but should I be asking about supplementing with additional vitamins? Just curious how everyone deals with their hounds medical care as they age.

I really don't do anything different unless there are symptoms that warrant exploration. If you're feeding a complete food, no need for vitamins.

I do like to make sure I have a complete blood panel including accurate platelet count (second tube of blood; costs extra) every @ 12 months -- having a fairly current baseline is invaluable if the dog does get sick. I usually do a fecal as well.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

Staggerlee just had his "senior exam" (10 in Aug).

We did a full senior blood panel, urine, and Dr. Karen did a head to toe exam, paying special attention to his heart and lungs, of course. He came through with FLYING colors, except for his corns. She couldn't say enough about him :-))

Good Luck, and by the sound of it, your baby will do well, too!

I might also add that if your dog has never had his teeth cleaned - then you might want to talk to the vet about the pros and cons of having it done at his age. My last grey had his teeth done at age 11 and everything went fine but, I was a mess worrying about it. It was a hard decision to make but, many vets are now thinking that infections from teeth issues as they get older are more of a problem than the complications that can arise from the anesthesia used for the teeth cleaning.

Exceptionally low platelets could be indicative of things like tick disease, lymphoma, leukemia, some others. I like to get the accurate count because greyhounds tend to run on the low end. I'm really just picky, and here it's only another $10? over the regular CBC. It isn't essential -- the estimate that comes back on the CBC is most always enough to tell you if you need to be concerned.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Blood work once a year age 12 plus for the Whippet and 10 plus for the big guys.

I never have a fecal done, but I deworm my dogs constantly (symptoms or not) with Drontal Plus since I live in the south and bring home strays often.

Guest EmilyandSioux

When I was in the clinic we rec. a full bolld panel and cbc with platelets. I We also would look at a modified vaccination plan for them. We usually dropped the rabies because they had had the vaccination all their lives. Depending on the breed we would also do lateral full body xrays just as a baseline. The dental was also based on the need. The bacteria can affect the heart, kidney and liver. Now with Sevoflurane gas anesthesia it is so safe. That also must be weighed by the vet as to the risks.

Guest Fasave

I might also add that if your dog has never had his teeth cleaned - then you might want to talk to the vet about the pros and cons of having it done at his age. My last grey had his teeth done at age 11 and everything went fine but, I was a mess worrying about it. It was a hard decision to make but, many vets are now thinking that infections from teeth issues as they get older are more of a problem than the complications that can arise from the anesthesia used for the teeth cleaning.

Teeth are the one thing I'm not worried about. I've brushed his teeth every night since I adopted him 7 years ago and vets are amazed that he is actually a greyhound when they open his mouth. :lol I have asked about teeth when they have put him under for his other surgeries and each time they say it's not necessary. Totally agree the oral health is key to general health and it's worth the extra couple minutes every night.