Jump to content

Eating What She's Not Suppose To


Guest Rach1323
 Share

Recommended Posts

Guest Rach1323

It will be a year in June we have had Bow. Lately on walks and anytime she is outside she has been trying to eat anything she can get her mouth on. She did not do this last summer when we got her? We try to keep her away pull her away and say leave it when we see her or when we feel her pulling to grab something. When I get to it in time I open her mouth and pull whatever she is trying to eat out, but sometimes she is to fast for me and swallows it before I even get to her. She has eaten mushrooms, rotten crab apples, grass chuncks ...and who knows what else. She has also taken a liking to poop...not her poo or other dog poo...but other animal poo rabbit, deer, and goose which she is especially fond of. I dont know what else to do I am being very deligent but there are times she sneaks something past me or swallows it before I can get to it. I am so scared she is going to get sick from something she consumes and I dont know why she is behaving like this now? Help..thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Energy11

I wish I had an answer, because you are describing mine!

 

They get the best foods, treats, supplements, etc., but let them outside in the larger pen, and they eat: grass, tree bark, rocks, beetles, poop ... you name it! IT is EXHAUSTING to have to keep going after them to stop!

 

This one has me stumped!

 

Good Luck with yours, as well! eek.gif

Edited by Energy11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest GreyFan09

Mine has lately taken to chewing up and eating small branches that fall from the tree in the back yard. He's out there gnawing on them like a beaver! Plenty of chewies and bones available for him, but no, he likes tree branches. Go figure. lol.gif

Edited by GreyFan09
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest jamesjr934

Regards to eating grass, dogs commonly eat grass, there are several explanations that have been offered for this behavior. One, wild K9s (e.g., wolves and fox) eat all of an animal when they catch it. Since they eat many herbivores (plant-eating animals), they end up eating a lot of grasses and plants that were in the intestines of these animals. In addition, they have been known to eat certain berries and other plant material. Dogs then, may eat grass because, in reality, it is a normal part of their diet.

 

Many times, dogs will vomit after eating grass. Do they eat grass to make them vomit? Or did they vomit because they ate grass? It seems that some dogs may eat vegetation when they have an upset stomach. Sometimes they just like it. Some dogs have certain species of grass or plant material that they will search out and eat. In any case, grass eating is basically a normal behavior, and is not of concern unless your dog does it excessively.

 

Regards to some of the other material they may eat, as in above, they may be supplementing for nutrition they're lacking in their diet or even supplementing for nutrition in their diet. Dogs don't necessarily know that what they're being fed has complete nutrition thus they'll supplement even though they may not need to.

 

Just my 2 cents...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest jamesjr934

Oh I meant to ask... When she eats these things does it induce vomiting? If so she may have a stomach ache or other digestive issues and may need to see a vet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

one of the most important exercises that i always do in obedience is "leave it!". it will save their life. one toxic mushroom and that's it! i am serious.

 

to start learning leave it, try this first inside- with out distraction

take a couple of plates with chopped hot dog morsels and place them in an area where you can walk your dog thru and around them(obedience classes are held in large rooms, so this is easy). with your dog on lead walk past and don't let her head drop snatch them. there are so many different opinions of training your pup on greytalk that i almost fear to say- give the collar a gentle pop- so you can let her know not to go for the bait. at the same time you need to say, in a direct firm way,"leave it". (if you are just distracting the pup w/ an other item they never learn what "leave it" means since they are not going for the item. i am sure there will be other optinins in future post about maneuvering your dog away from food)

when they leave it you praise and say , "good leave it" in a very positive happy tone. i don't treat or reward since i have seen dogs go after the unwanted so they can eventually do it right and then get the reward-food.

 

i practice this w/ not only food, but toys, tennis balls, marshmallows or anything else my dog loves. we do it initially as i said inside, move to a controlled area outside- the yard, the street behind my house and practice "leave it" so much that when my pups pass a forbidden item they look at me as they think, "yeah, i better leave it"

 

learning leave it will save their life. greys just ingest the entire item in one gulp, so trying to get your hand into their mouth is almost useless. keep your pup on a shorter lead until this is mastered, it will help you have more control.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...