Dr. Couto?

Guest BooBooMama

Guest BooBooMama

Hi All,

I had never heard of Dr. Couto and the Greyhound Wellness Program until I rejoined GT. I know that his main study is osteosarcoma but I was wondering if any of you knows if he (or a memeber of his staff) would do a conference call or email for a consultation on blood chemistry that is not osteo related without me bringing Houdini to OSU? Have any of you done something like this?

Guest Energy11

Hi All,

I had never heard of Dr. Couto and the Greyhound Wellness Program until I rejoined GT. I know that his main study is osteosarcoma but I was wondering if any of you knows if he (or a memeber of his staff) would do a conference call or email for a consultation on blood chemistry that is not osteo related without me bringing Houdini to OSU? Have any of you done something like this?

You can email or fax Houdini's bloodwork and your questions to Dr. Couto and Staff, and they will get back to you, usually via email. This is usually how it is done.

Couto.1@osu.edu (Dr. Couto)

Greyhound@cvm.osu.edu (Dr. Marin and Staff).

Dr. C and staff always try to answer emails within 24-48 hours.

Good Luck!

Guest boondog

Dr. Couto will absolutely do a consultation with you. I don't know about conference call, but I know he'll definitely do an email consultation. He does not charge for these, either.

Guest BooBooMama

Yeah! Thank you so much. My vet found something in Houdini's CBC that was 'off' just a bit but not related to any TBD and he is guessing that it is just normal to her, but I would like to run that past OSU for a second opinion.

Guest Energy11

Yeah! Thank you so much. My vet found something in Houdini's CBC that was 'off' just a bit but not related to any TBD and he is guessing that it is just normal to her, but I would like to run that past OSU for a second opinion.

Does this vet know that Greyhound blood values are DIFFERENT? Just wondering! :-))

Guest BooBooMama

Does this vet know that Greyhound blood values are DIFFERENT? Just wondering! :-))

Yes! They have taken care of greyhounds for over 20 years. The head vet went to UW Madison and worked on the greyhound health program when the tracks were at their peak here in WI. This is just a slight irregularity that he has never seen before and I am a nervous mom.

Guest Energy11

Yes! They have taken care of greyhounds for over 20 years. The head vet went to UW Madison and worked on the greyhound health program when the tracks were at their peak here in WI. This is just a slight irregularity that he has never seen before and I am a nervous mom.

Checking with Dr.Couto and staffis always a good thing! ;-) I just emailed you Dr. Susan Stacks normal GH blood values for your info. I had to give them to MY vet, as, before meeting me, she wasn't GH savvy, and has been practicing for over 20 years!

Guest BooBooMama

Checking with Dr.Couto and staffis always a good thing! ;-) I just emailed you Dr. Susan Stacks normal GH blood values for your info. I had to give them to MY vet, as, before meeting me, she wasn't GH savvy, and has been practicing for over 20 years!

These guys are very GH savvy- they usually give second opinions for other GH owners who go to other vets. I am sorry that I am not well versed in medical terminology and did not fully understand what he was telling me or I would be more clear.

Guest Energy11

These guys are very GH savvy- they usually give second opinions for other GH owners who go to other vets. I am sorry that I am not well versed in medical terminology and did not fully understand what he was telling me or I would be more clear.

I have ALWAYS wondered why some doctors and vets "talk above people's heads?" We didn't all go to medical or vet school, right? Not to worry, happens all the time. I remember when I worked in the HUMAN ER, and they doc would leave the room ... they patient would call me over and ask ..."What did he say?" :-)) I always tried to explain it in layperson's terms. Trust me, it isn't just you!

I'm not a doctor, but am a Med Tech. And sometimes I think it's just because that's what the brain thinks. I don't think they all do it on purpose to confuse lay people. That's just how it comes out of their mouths.

A good example is here on the board. Almost Everyone here knows what OS means or OSTEO or Osteosarcoma. Rarely will someone ask 'what is that?'

But if you were to say any of those terms at your place of employment (other than a vet's office or doctor's office) people will look at your crosseyed. I've said so many times that I've lost my baby to osteo or osteosarcoma and I get this puzzled look. Um....bone cancer.

So, while some doctor's have a god complex, I don't think it's always done on purpose. It's part of their normal speak.

Guest Energy11

I'm not a doctor, but am a Med Tech. And sometimes I think it's just because that's what the brain thinks. I don't think they all do it on purpose to confuse lay people. That's just how it comes out of their mouths.

A good example is here on the board. Almost Everyone here knows what OS means or OSTEO or Osteosarcoma. Rarely will someone ask 'what is that?'

But if you were to say any of those terms at your place of employment (other than a vet's office or doctor's office) people will look at your crosseyed. I've said so many times that I've lost my baby to osteo or osteosarcoma and I get this puzzled look. Um....bone cancer.

So, while some doctor's have a god complex, I don't think it's always done on purpose. It's part of their normal speak.

Very true, and points well illustrated! :-)

Guest BooBooMama

Oh I think my vet is terrific and don't hold him to blame at all. It was me- I just freaked when he said there was one reading that was off a bit but not to worry. The first words out of my mouth were- "Cancer?!" (I just lost my beloved BooBoo three weeks ago to osteo, so I am easily freaked these days.) When he said no I totally forgot what is was. Later I thought "Gee I should have asked him to spell that to me so I can find out more about it." Now I have to find out what it was!

Guest Energy11

Oh I think my vet is terrific and don't hold him to blame at all. It was me- I just freaked when he said there was one reading that was off a bit but not to worry. The first words out of my mouth were- "Cancer?!" (I just lost my beloved BooBoo three weeks ago to osteo, so I am easily freaked these days.) When he said no I totally forgot what is was. Later I thought "Gee I should have asked him to spell that to me so I can find out more about it." Now I have to find out what it was!

Wow! Your vet DOES sound awesome. Maybe it would be worth calling him and asking what he had told you? Just say your forgot, which you did :-)) Then, you don't have to drive yourself crazy.

Guest BooBooMama

Wow! Your vet DOES sound awesome. Maybe it would be worth calling him and asking what he had told you? Just say your forgot, which you did :-)) Then, you don't have to drive yourself crazy.

I will go over there tomorrow to pick up a copy of the test results and I will ask him at that time. I will let you know and then you can give me your opinion running them past Dr. Couto.

Guest Energy11

I will go over there tomorrow to pick up a copy of the test results and I will ask him at that time. I will let you know and then you can give me your opinion running them past Dr. Couto.

Sounds like a plan! You have it all covered! :-))

Sorry that I just saw this. Certainly OSU would do a no charge consult. You might want to try Dr. Cristina Iazbik. She works for Dr. Couto and is in charge of the blood bank. She also does hematology research. And to top it all off she is an absolute sweetheart. Of course you can always contact them through the greyhound health and wellness program.

Here is all the info:

If you want to talk directly with Cristina: Her number is 614-688-8460. She is often busy taking a donation from a dog or cat (My Joe donates blood there). Her email is iazbik.1@osu.edu (at least if my memory is right). Here are the other contacts:

OSU Greyhound Health and Wellness Program:

Phone: (614) 247-6757

Email: greyosu@osu.edu

This email goes to the team. If Dr. Couto is traveling, you may get a quicker answer from one of his team members. Drs. Marin and Zaldivar typically respond to greyhound owners.

Dr. Couto, Department Head, Greyhound Medicine, Oncolology and Hematology

Dr. Lili Marin, Greyhound Health and Oncology

Dr. Sara Zaldivar, Greyhound Health and Oncology

Dr. William Kisselberth, Oncology

Dr. Cheryl London, Oncology

Dr. Cristina Iazbik, Blood Bank Director and Hematologist

Dr. Bridget Urie, Oncology Resident

Dr. Matt Sherger, Oncology Resident

Dawn Hudson, Vet Tech

Ashley DeFelice, Vet Tech

Stacey Gallant, Vet Tech

Drs Marin and Zaldivar are originally from Spanish speaking countries. If you have trouble understanding them over the phone, you might ask for one of the other vets or vet techs to “translate”.

Dr. Couto's direct email is:

couto.1@osu.edu

His phone number is also 614-247-6757. If he is in town, he typically returns emails in the early hours of the morning.

You should know that (in my humble opinion) they need more staff. Unfortunately finances do not permit it at this time. I think they do about 20 consults a day along with all of their "in canine" patients. There is no charge for phone/email consultations. Depending on their workload there may be a wait for the consultation.

If you decide to visit OSU please contact me. I may be able to put you up in a local home, provide moral support, or just help with logistics:

Finewhipador-drool@yahoo.com

The main number for the veterinary hospital is 614-292-3551

Guest BooBooMama

Sorry that I just saw this. Certainly OSU would do a no charge consult. You might want to try Dr. Cristina Iazbik. She works for Dr. Couto and is in charge of the blood bank. She also does hematology research. And to top it all off she is an absolute sweetheart. Of course you can always contact them through the greyhound health and wellness program.

Here is all the info:

If you want to talk directly with Cristina: Her number is 614-688-8460. She is often busy taking a donation from a dog or cat (My Joe donates blood there). Her email is iazbik.1@osu.edu (at least if my memory is right). Here are the other contacts:

OSU Greyhound Health and Wellness Program:

Phone: (614) 247-6757

Email: greyosu@osu.edu

This email goes to the team. If Dr. Couto is traveling, you may get a quicker answer from one of his team members. Drs. Marin and Zaldivar typically respond to greyhound owners.

Dr. Couto, Department Head, Greyhound Medicine, Oncolology and Hematology

Dr. Lili Marin, Greyhound Health and Oncology

Dr. Sara Zaldivar, Greyhound Health and Oncology

Dr. William Kisselberth, Oncology

Dr. Cheryl London, Oncology

Dr. Cristina Iazbik, Blood Bank Director and Hematologist

Dr. Bridget Urie, Oncology Resident

Dr. Matt Sherger, Oncology Resident

Dawn Hudson, Vet Tech

Ashley DeFelice, Vet Tech

Stacey Gallant, Vet Tech

Drs Marin and Zaldivar are originally from Spanish speaking countries. If you have trouble understanding them over the phone, you might ask for one of the other vets or vet techs to “translate”.

Dr. Couto's direct email is:

couto.1@osu.edu

His phone number is also 614-247-6757. If he is in town, he typically returns emails in the early hours of the morning.

You should know that (in my humble opinion) they need more staff. Unfortunately finances do not permit it at this time. I think they do about 20 consults a day along with all of their "in canine" patients. There is no charge for phone/email consultations. Depending on their workload there may be a wait for the consultation.

If you decide to visit OSU please contact me. I may be able to put you up in a local home, provide moral support, or just help with logistics:

Finewhipador-drool@yahoo.com

The main number for the veterinary hospital is 614-292-3551

I can't thank you enough!

Guest BooBooMama

UPDATE:

I sent an email to Dr. Iazbik the Hemotologist who works with Dr. Couto and she already got back to me! These people are wonderful! Thanks for getting me in touch with her.