He Ate A Banana Peel...is This A Problem?

Guest Mommy2Gideon

Guest Mommy2Gideon

My concern is not so much the banana part. I'm wondering how long with this take to digest and will it cause a blockage?

Guest Energy11

My concern is not so much the banana part. I'm wondering how long with this take to digest and will it cause a blockage?

I, personally, wouldn't be concerned, especially if it was chewed well. Heck, mine eat tree bark, yes, tree bark, and other stuff I don't want to mention. Why not give your vet a quick call before they close and ask an expert? This way, it will put your mind at ease.

Good Luck!

Guest Sweetreba

About 5 months ago my female ate 3 - 4 whole bananas peels and all. I found pieces of the stalk in the living room and when I looked on the counter and saw one banana left I panicked. It was late when I found this so I waited to see what happened she seemed fine. I was sure the Big D. would come. I cannot believe she never got sick and her poos were normal. She loves them but this was a first with peels and so many.

Guest sheila

I once chatted with a guy on GT in the chat room who told a story of his dog eating a banana peel from the garbage and having it come out the other end intact. I couldn't resist replying, 'So when your dog 'peeled out'.......did it leave skid marks?'

All joking aside I think it will be OK. If you suspect that there is a problem you could dose her with some mineral oil to 'grease' things up and get them moving along quicker.

Guest goofydog

Saw Bones raced at Bham and he was one banana fiend. The trainer uses bananas in his meal mix and had some on a chair in the kennel when Saw Bones came back from a race. Before he could react Bones had the entire banana down his gullet with no ill effects later on :eek . It then became a game to hide a banana, sans peel, whenever Bones would race. He really enjoyed the game of 'find the banana' when he got back to the kennel :lol

Gideon should be fine, just keep an eye on his poops to make sure everything passes.