Thunderphobe

I just wanted to update everyone on Jade.

We had another storm, it was pretty bad, but luckily I was home. She went outside (with me watching like a hawk). She jumped on the fence and saw that there was no more opening. (I added several feet of wire.......I hope she doesn't test it because I think it'll fold easily if she does).

The meds dont' seem to be working.

She hasn't yet found a safe spot, but I keep showing her differen places in the house (including the bath tub)

I tried the thunderwrap which goes around the head (supposedly decreasing the intensity of the thunder. She shook it off.

I had a T shirt on her. Didn't seem to do anything.

So I have an appt with a behavioralist at the U of Penn June 1. It's approx 3 hrs long.

I think the minimum that will be done is either up the meds or change them. I tend to think that she might actually respond to desensitization. So I'm buy a thunder CD. (She's not even afraid of the vacuum cleaner!)

I will be majorly thrilled if she would just find her 'safe place' and learn to go there.

I've also ordered the Dogtrak..........Just in case. It wouldn't keep her safe from being hit by a car. But if she does get lucky there, then I should at least be able to find her.

Guest LindsaySF

Do you think she can jump out of the fence again if she tries hard enough? I would be worried that even with wire added to make the fence higher she might still get over it in a panic. If you can't restrict her from the dog door I would try a smaller turn out pen with a lid. If it has a top then you know there is no way she can escape. A friend of mine has a smaller turn-out pen coming off her dog door within her larger fenced yard, I can send you pics if it would help to visualize.

Good luck at the appointment.

~Lindsay~

If a pen is small enough to have a lid, then it's too small for me. Remember I still have 3 dogs. A pen the size described would be on the cement patio only and block my access to the yard or deck. It's not practical. If I were to re-fence in the area I had when I first got greys, it would be just as easy to jump. And I just don't have the money to put in 6-8 foot fences. Even small sections.

That's why I'm taking her to a behavioralist.