Daisy's Limping-Should We Go To The Vet?

Guest Twogreythounds

Guest Twogreythounds

Yesterday my 10 year old girl Daisy (who thinks she is 3) was feeling very spunky on our walk yesterday and ran into a pond (knocking her brother Jake in with her). As I was getting them out she stumbled in the mud. She didn't fall over completely but twisted/fell a little on her back right leg. After I got them out she had a little trouble walking on the leg but seemed fine a min or two later. She skipped home apparently no worse for her fall except for a little limp that I noticed.

While bathing the pups (who were covered in icky pond water and mud) I noticed that she didn't like shifting her weight to that leg but she didn't appear to be too uncomfortable or unsteady. She went about her normal routine last night with no problem. However, she woke me up screaming twice last night. I couldn't figure out what was wrong, she laid down and went back to sleep both times-less than a min after screaming. She just woke up screaming again (two - three short, loud screams) but wasn't holding her leg funny. As soon as I started petting her she laid back down. She asked to go out shortly after that. I was watching her walk in the backyard and noticed her back leg looked funny--she screamed immediately as I noticed this. Then she put her head down and continued to wag her tail and find a good potty spot. She was able to squat in her normal way but has been having a little trouble squatting the past month. I checked her legs all over but I can't find a sore spot or any swelling. When she walks she keeps that leg turned out to the right (not inline with her other paws).

She is resting comfortably on her bed right now but I am concerned. I don't know if she just sprained/pulled something in the leg or if its more serious. We have noticed that she is having more and more trouble with her hind legs and have talked to our vet about hind end weakness getting worse but the vet believes she is just aging. Hearing your pup scream like that is one of the most upsetting noises I have ever heard. I am debating taking her to an e-vet today, our vet tomorrow, or waiting to see if she improves. Any ideas?

I personally think you can wait until Monday, but I would look VERY carefully for any sort of puncture she might have suffered in the water...it's a long shot, but...

I hate to pay double for the e-Vet unless it's really necessary.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest 4dogscrazy

A vet visit is in order, and I second the wait. They don't know your dog personally (I hope!) and she seems to have been having some troubles over time. She will probably scream tonight too though...the evet can give her pain meds to help, so it's a matter of what you can take. Maybe someone can chime in on pain meds they can take that are otc. I have to call my friend the vet tech every time because I can never remember!

To the vet for sure, good chance she may need an anti-inflammatory but I also would wait to see my regular vet tomorrow.

As for something OTC for tonight, I use Ascriptin, but don't give her anything in the morning because you don't want to mask anything if you're getting her in

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Twogreythounds

Good News! I ended up taking her in to the vet yesterday. She was no longer resting comfortably and appeared to be in pain even when lying down. Vet said that she brusied her hip and put her on rimadyl for the next 2-3 days. I'm very glad that we took her in yesterday, even if it cost 4 times as much as--Daisy was back to her usual bouncy self within an hour of taking the medicine and was able to rest comfortably all through the night! Now we have the fun task of getting her to rest and take it easy for the next few days. Thanks Everyone