Mounting/dominance

Discussion of mounting behavior in another thread got me wondering...

If a dog tries to mount, but can't, does that diminish his dominance? I'm thinking, of course, of my corgi Henderson & grey Stephanie. If they're playing and she happens to stand next to the couch or loveseat, he'll jump up on the piece of furniture & try to mount her. She always just walks away :P , then he jumps down and the games resume.

So who's dominant? Henderson, because he attempts to mount, or Stephanie, because she doesn't let it happen? Is it the attempt or the the actual completion of the act that would make him dominant? With all their other behavior, I think they're about equal as far as dominance is concerned. So my silly question has no bearing on anything - just idle curiosity! :lol

Maryann, Bama (TW Beltram), Stephanie (Tom's Stepinhi) & Henderson the Cardigan Welsh Corgi

Maybe Stephanie? Your corgi's lucky! The only time I've really seen Rainy get after other dogs was when they tried to mount her. She made some lab puppy's life flash before his eyes at the dog park, twice! (he was a slow learner) Then later scared the life out of my parent's Shepard puppy. :lol Girl knows how to deal with those fresh boys!

------

Jessica

Guest mcsheltie

It sounds like they are still working on that. There are probably some sexual undertones going on too. Otherwise Stephanie would put him in the dirt. Boys are a little slow on the uptake.

Sometimes mounting is nothing at all about dominance but just plain high spirits.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.