Sutra's Limp = Probable Osteo

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday we saw Dr. Less at Kimberly Crest. We've never been there before, so, I didn't know what to expect. He was very nice and was perfectly happy to listen to me and answer all of my questions.

We repeated xrays, because they have digital xrays there. They also did the FNA, but I guess that has to be sent out (I thought they would just look at it under a microscope but I guess I was mistaken). They also did some bloodwork - his T4 level is nonexistant :blink: and his white count was high (at the time I didn't think to ask what the actual number was - Dr. Berger always shows me the path report as he's explaining it).

So, we have some Clindamycin on the off chance that his white count is high for some other reason. The bone does look a bit moth eaten :( On the upside, Dr. Less said that the outer part of the bone was very very hard for them to get through.

He has a little bald spot on his shoulder where they shaved him :blush All in all he did very well yesterday.

My problem now is that he's decided he doesn't want to eat for me. He eats for Mark if I'm not here or he doesn't think I'm here (last night he ate his kibble, with nothing on it, because I was in the shower and in the bedroom getting dressed. Because he doesn't want to eat, he also doesn't want to willingly take his medicine from pill pockets. I may pick up some Velveeta - that has worked for us in the past. I have given him his regular kibble, no add ins, I've tried kibble with wet food mixed in, I've tried kibble with Ensure on top of it, I've tried kibble with cottage cheese - all things that he's enjoyed in the past. He takes one or two bites and acts like, "meh, that tastes like nothing" and walks away. He was happy to lap up some Ensure from a bowl though - and will still bark for his cookies. It's a little bit puzzling.

He wouldn't even take his Deramaxx or his joint health tablets, which are meat flavored and he's always taken as treats. I've had to put his pills down his throat - which, I've been able to do, but if you remember back when I got him, he is THE most difficult dog to pill, and it makes me feel bad to have to do it to him. I've pilled hundreds of dogs over the years and never had a hard time. He locks his jaw and then once you get his mouth open, he tries to close it on your fingers while they're in there :lol So my fingers get gnawed on a bit :blush

He is still walking completely normally. He has an appointment for the chiro on Tuesday - he's looking a bit hunched up and I think it'll help him.

I've got to get him eating - so I may try cooking for him again...or maybe let him have some of the TOTW food we've got here. It's a fine line because he can't have too much fat because of his pancreatitis.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

That's a lot to digest, Kristin. For the very present moment, the eating seems to be the biggest issue. If he's more willing to eat when you're not there, that suggests and answer (put the food down and walk away). Maybe he's associating you with all the pill-stuffing. Can you dissolve his meds and syringe them in? Your game of meal roulette is bringing back bad memories! It's so hard when they won't eat!

Hang in there!!

:bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

The only problem with putting his food down and walking away is that then, everyone else comes over and tries to eat his food, and he'll just walk away if he's interrupted at all. I've always had to stand guard for him when he eats. I have started feeding Skimmie in his crate because he's the worst offender. I tried feeding Sutra in another part of the house so he can be gated away from everyone...but then he just walks away and goes to lay down in the bedroom :lol

I'm not HORRIBLY concerned right at this moment, as he seems to be happy to eat at least once a day. Last time he wasn't feeling well, he just wasn't interested in eating within an hour of waking up for the day...if I waited a little while, he would eat. I'll offer him some food in a bit and see what he thinks. Also, he may just be feeling cruddy and we need those antibiotics to kick in.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--