All 3 Dogs Won't Go Into The Back Yard

Guest deanna

Guest deanna

We moved a few weeks ago into a house on 3 acres. The whole property is fenced. When I let the dogs out the front door, they won't leave the concrete patio/entrance area. If I hold their collars and walk them to the back field area, as soon as I let go, they SPRINT back to their concrete patio. If am outside working in the yard, they'll watch me from the patio, but won't leave.

What is the deal? The property is huge and grassy and beautiful. The first week here they LOVED it. Ran all over, checked it out all day, sniffed around. Now, I can't get them to get out there. It's the weirdest thing.

Ideas?

Guest zoolaine

Ghosts????? In Houston, my older dogs suddenly refused to go out the usual backdoor. We found out a few days later that the kid that used to live there had committed suicide and I think he was returning home. Sorry, hope that didn't freak you out.

Guest Greytluv

Ghosts????? In Houston, my older dogs suddenly refused to go out the usual backdoor. We found out a few days later that the kid that used to live there had committed suicide and I think he was returning home. Sorry, hope that didn't freak you out.

eek.gif

Guest deanna

:eek

No didn't freak me out.

I'm starting to think they're just spoiled. They want to be in the house, with their fluffy beds and they're going to let me know about it. I left them outside long enough yesterday evening, with me while I was working in the yard, and after about 2 hours they finally left their post at the front door and started wandering the yard. So weird... and kind of irritating to be honest. :rolleyes:

Edited by deanna

Could you have some outdoor beds for them? I know that if there isn't a bed for Monty he doesn't want to lie down, but if he's got one of his beds he makes himself at home.

He does, however, jump up and get excited if you head toward the house, though.

What makes your problem so baffling is that all 3 dogs are behaving the same way. Very strange. My only suggestion is to let them hang out on the patio and hope that they start enjoying the rest of the yard in their own time.

gallery_3252_2927_10878.jpg

Guest deanna

So James manned up and started acting like a dog. He follows us out into the field, he's basically attached to my hip. My dream farm dog :wub:

He laid in the grass next to me as I planted trees. He patrolled the perimeter of the chicken run as we built it. He even stays out there with us in the rain. He's SO FREAKING AWESOME.

The girls are coming around. They all burned around the field yesterday, for the first time since I posted this thread. J and I were both about to be in tears.

No idea what the hold up was... they LOVED the field the first week. Then hated it. Passionately. Now they're acting much more normal. The girls still seem to have an invisible barrier at the front of the house... they'll stand there watching us. But periodically will venture outside their border.

Now though, they all go out into their run at night and howl. All three of them, just singing at the moon. Or probably at the horses across the road, and the sheep next door. But it's pretty darn funny. They really seem to be enjoying it more. I have to wonder what that adjustment was like for them, we've lived in cities for 5 years!

Thanks guys,

d.