Hitch In Her Giddy Up?

Guest ellieb

Guest ellieb

In the past few days, Indigo has been acting just a little bit "off". She bolted out the back door (like always) on Saturday. She and Max think the door is a starting gate. She yelped, just a little. When she came back inside, she was hunching her back just a tiny bit and kept sitting. (My dogs neither one EVER sit.) I rubbed all down her back and sides. I rotated/worked all her legs. Nothing. She is walking fine. She is eating/drinking and peeing/pooping fine. She perked back up by bedtime. We wrote it off as just a twinge.

A couple more times since, she has acted the same way...minus the yelp. We are being careful and making Max go first while we hold her, so that she goes out the back slowly. (We have 3 small concrete steps out the back door, onto a concrete patio...then the grassy yard.)

If she were a human, I would probably just give her an ibuprofen or something.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Ellie

Guest Energy11

How old is she? Could be arthritis.

Might want to see the vet and if it is some type of inflammation, they can give her a "doggie" anti-inflammatory like Deramaxx or Rimadyl.

Sending hugs her way!

don't give ibuprofen, only aspirin (or a "doggie" one like suggested above from the vet) can be given. acetaminophen and ibuprofen cannot be given to dogs (or cats).

maybe she pulled something in her neck?

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest Energy11

don't give ibuprofen, only aspirin (or a "doggie" one like suggested above from the vet) can be given. acetaminophen and ibuprofen cannot be given to dogs (or cats).

My vet hates it, but you CAN give (1) 81 mg. low dose aspirin twice a day. If you do, I would give with Pepcid AC or it's generic.

Like RaineysMom said, no HUMAN Ibuprophen or Tylenol (acetaminophen).

Good Luck!

Guest ellieb

OH! I would NEVER give any of my animals human meds. I was just giving an example. Sorry about that!

She will be 10 in June. Her neck seems fine. The behavior comes and goes.

I am going to the vet, tonight (check up for one of the fab feline boys). I will chat with him about it, too.

She had a similar problem in October, but it was continuous. We took her to the E-Vet. Doctor thought it was a neck strain. She gave her a Dexamethasone Sodium Phosphate Injection and a dose of Buprenex. They sent us home with a week's worth of Prednisolone 20 mg. (The downside of the steriods seem to be increased urination. Not sure if that is common? We couldn't leave her alone in the house because she had to go out every 2 hours or less. It was awful. She had multiple accidents. *sigh*)

Guest ellieb

Talked to the vet, last night. He thinks it may just be old age. Recommended using a joint supplement, making her slow down when she goes out the back door and keeping an eye on her. He did say that I could use baby aspirin, if I wanted.

Guest Energy11

Sounds right. I didn't think which supplements you used, made a difference, but Dasequin DID with Goldie's arthritis. It is expensive, but worth it. Good Luck!

Guest ellieb

Sounds right. I didn't think which supplements you used, made a difference, but Dasequin DID with Goldie's arthritis. It is expensive, but worth it. Good Luck!

That is the one I am thinking of trying. Do you use the pills or chews?

Guest Greytluv

You can try Traumeel.. It's homeopathic and works wonders. When my Doni Rae ran into the screen door the chiropractor put her on it.

You get it at health food stores.