Hair Loss

Guest wingcello

Guest wingcello

I adopted my greyhound in August. He has been shedding quite a bit and has lost most of the hair on his butt. He is a raw feeder and is otherwise healthy - no itching, scratching etc. His skin does seem dry and I put flax seed oil on his food. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Guest kydie

Congrads on your new pup and welcome, I prefer salmon oil (fish oil caps) to flax, and hair loss is not only common this time of year, but also, due to the stress of change, good luck :)

Mine have started their yearly spring shedding. I'm sure I'll be able to make several dog fur coats by the time summer is here.:lol

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest greyarea

We went through something similar with Molly. She's mostly black with white feet and a white blaze on her chest. She started out with virtually no hair on her rump. Shortly after we got her she did a major shed. I kept saying it looked like she had a US Marine Corps haircut, "high and tight." The tummy was bare, her sides very thin and her white blaze was so thin it looked pink with her skin showing through. Talked to our vet and we tried a few supplements. Nothing seemed to help, but since she was healthy and happy we figured that's the way she's going to be. Now, some 5 years later she's still pretty thin on the rump, but it's filling in. Her coat in general looks good and her white blaze is back. Maybe it just took her a while to feel "at home!"