Buddy Not Eating...any Suggestions...

Guest DundeeToddsMom

Guest DundeeToddsMom

The last couple days Buddy (my 10 year old) has become very finiky when it comes to eating.

Usually the eat 5:30am, 11:30ish, 4:30. (Eagle Pack original formula with boiled chicken & bbroth)

Yesterday - he didn't want dinner, yet when I got dry food (Eagle Pack Lamb) and handed it to him he ate that.

Now this morning he didn't want his breakfast at all. A couple times during last week he didn't eat - though I didn't write the days down thinking he was just being lazy. Now I'm writing them down. He's acting normal otherwise - he will probably eat either lunch or dinner - that's how it seems to be going..

What do you guys suggest? Give it a few more days, change food (don't know to what) or take to the vet?

Thanks everyone...

Guest Energy11

If he is acting normally, not lethargic, poops and pees okay, drinking, you could give it a few more days. Maybe today, try some boiled chicken and rice with broth? Something different to entice him?

If he doesn't have diarrhea, and you think he is acting normally, then, I'd take it day by day, but of course, if his eating doesn't pick up, a full senior blood panel and urine are in order.

Sending good thoughts! Dee and The Five

Guest DundeeToddsMom

He hasn't lost any weight and he poops and pee's fine. I think I'll try the boiled chicken and rice today and see what happens. If he doesn't start eating regularly again, I'll take him to the vet for full blood work. It's almost time for his yearly heartworm check - so a little early won't hurt.

Thank you everyone... Deb & Buddy

You could also try some buttered pasta...Pop has yet to refuse that when he is on his meds...maybe some canned food? Although Pop will get finicky with the flavor of canned food...he has yet to turn down pasta!

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

Guest lovemyhounds2

Once we got our grey figured out with his low thyroid, he sometimes will turn up his nose to dinner or breakfast. I have been warming it up in the microwave, just 30s or so, with water. He hasn't turned that down yet. His teeth are fine, he just seems to prefer the warmer food!

Having had a senior that was very difficult to feed (but nothing like her sister Bobbi, owned by FreddyGirl).

Polli liked boiled chicken breast, tripe (the real stuff- I think every house should have it just in case) http://sitstay.com , Wilderness canned by blue (it's greyt and it's 475 calories a can), granola bars (peanut butter)

I would rule out medical and then see if there is something different he may like.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Having had a senior that was very difficult to feed (but nothing like her sister Bobbi, owned by FreddyGirl).

Polli liked boiled chicken breast, tripe (the real stuff- I think every house should have it just in case) http://sitstay.com , Wilderness canned by blue (it's greyt and it's 475 calories a can), granola bars (peanut butter)

I would rule out medical and then see if there is something different he may like.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Swifthounds

I've never tried the canned/cooked tripe. It looks a bit different than the ground tripe. Wondering how it smells in comparison to the raw stuff? Anyone try both?