White Vaginal Discharge On Spayed Female

Holly is a three year old female that was spayed in decemeber. We adopted her a few days later. She was fresh off the dairyland track. Last night I noticed quite a bit of white vaginal discharge (almost a teaspoon). Previously I had noticed that she had some matting in her tail and backside but I had attributed that to peanut butter from her kong. Now I am pretty sure it was discharge. So this appears to have been going on for a few weeks.

I took her to the vet today to get checked for a UTI or vaginitis. Both came back negative. While she is a little red in the area, the vet thought it was from licking. She does lick her self quite often, but not contstantly, usually right after she has gone out to go potty. It has been quite awhile since I have had a female dog, so I attributed the licking to normal female dog behavoir. Besides applying some animax to the area for the redness, the vet did not have much else to offer at this point. Off course there was no white discharge in sight when we took her in today, so my plan is to collect some next time I see it and hope the vet is still open.

The other thought the vet had was that it was early stage UTI or vaginitis that is just not registering yet. Holly had a normal temp as well and there really was no odor to the discharge and based on the forums I have read, I would have noticed it.

Has anyone had experience with an oderless white discharge but no other outward sign of infection? I've read the terrible stories about the infected uterine stump, but in those cases it seemed that fever was always present.

Thanks, for now I guess we wait and see what pops up.

I had a female that also experienced this vaginal discharge every couple months while I had her when she was 5 and 6 years old. It was actually less frequent the older she got. She was spayed at 5 years of age. The discharge was white (but sort of clear) and slimey. My vet thought when she was spayed the doctor did not remove all of her female parts and this resulted in her having a discharge. Not sure if this would be the case or not.

My greyhound did the very same thing. Her discharge was clear. There was not sign of a UTI. However our vet prescribed an antibiotic for her inflamed gums, and after the course of anti-biotics were done, the mysterious discharge went away as well.

Perhaps in treating one end, we cured the other. :lol

PrettyGirl had been off the track only about 6 weeks.

A small amount of mucous is normal.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest NJgrey

Ellie is 2 and a half, spayed in early February, we adopted her on the 27th of February. On our first visit to the vet he noticed a small amount of a similar discharge, white with no smell. She still gets it off and on. We even took her for a follow up visit to have it checked out. They checked for a UTI, which came back negative. Vet said to just keep an eye on it and see what happens after a month - if no change, we may do a little round of anti-biotics. She licks at it but there's really no redness around there so it doesn't seem to be making her uncomfortable.

I don't know, I'm a guy, I'm not used to dealing with these girly issues :P

Thanks for the input, even from a guy, its helpful to know others have experienced it as well. And it sounds like your vet told you pretty much what mine told me. Just watch it and maybe we'll do a round of antibiotics.

The last female dog I had in the house was when I was nine or so, and we won't go into how long ago that was unsure.gif . ... Boys are easier in that respect.

Guest NJgrey

And FWIW, I seem to remember Cynthia Brannigan saying that something like this can be common with females off the track due to the hormones they were receiving etc. Think I remember reading that in her book but not positive.