Fleas?

Guest KungPaoKat

Guest KungPaoKat

So I noticed this morning that Monroe has a few fleas -- he's been biting and chewing a bit, and I was finally able to see the little suckers this morning. We're calling the vet to get a new dog check-up anyway, but I was curious as to what y'all use for treating/killing fleas as well as prevention. We have 2 cats as well and since they're indoor-only, we never had to worry about it, but now I guess we need to treat them as well?

Thanks!!!

Hello! I just saw that you are in Frisco :) I am in Plano!

Anyway, your vet will probably use a capstar. It will help immediatly and then he will advise you on a preventative. Good luck.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest KungPaoKat

Well howdy neighbor! Question for you since you're local -- what vet do you use? Monroe's previous care was in Grand Prairie, and obviously we want something closer and someone who knows a lot about greyhounds specifically. Thanks!

I use Highpoint Animal Hospital on Alma and SpringCreek. Dr. Staph.

They are a little bit pricey on regular visits but are very, very sweet and they listen and have lots of experience with greys.

Where did you adopt from? We have a small group that gets together every so often for play dates and would love to have you come along. I also sometimes just go to the ball fields on my own. I have three kids, my youngest is 7 and we have 4 greys.

Guest Energy11

Treat the dog and bomb the house. Fleas are only on the animal to eat, then they jump off and live in your house.

Yep... if you just treat the dog, and not the house, the little buggers will reinfest! UGH!

I still SWEAR by Adams Flea and Tick Mist, which you can use on the puppers about once every 7-10 days, and on their bedding. We had zero fleas last year, doing this. You can even get it at Wal-mart!

Good Luck! Fleas literally and figuratively BITE! flea.gif

Guest KungPaoKat

I use Highpoint Animal Hospital on Alma and SpringCreek. Dr. Staph.

They are a little bit pricey on regular visits but are very, very sweet and they listen and have lots of experience with greys.

Where did you adopt from? We have a small group that gets together every so often for play dates and would love to have you come along. I also sometimes just go to the ball fields on my own. I have three kids, my youngest is 7 and we have 4 greys.

Thanks! We were referred to North Plano Animal Hospital, so I guess we'll check it out. We adopted from Greyhounds Unlimited, less than a week ago lol. I'd love to get together sometime for a play date -- poor Monroe only has 2 evil cats and 2 unruly children for companionship, and I'm sure he'd love to see some other greys. My kids are 2 & 4, so the playing isn't that good yet since we have to be so careful. I had been wondering if one of the high school ball fields would be a good place to take Monroe for some running off-leash, since the dog park scares me. Are the ball fields fenced pretty securely?

Most are pretty secure, I walk the perimeter before we let loose tho. I also take a bungee cord to hold the gate closed. :)

Guest sheila

once you have seen fleas on your dog I agree you should bomb the house and treat all animals with some sort of topical treatment. I have used Frontline as a follow up preventative and that worked for me.

Having said that, I don't treat for fleas unless I actually see them. In all the yrs I've had pets I have only had to use these products once.

Guest NJgrey

Hi,

Not to hijack, but we have a similar situation - just found a flea on Ellie after the vet found one on her initial check up 3 weeks ago.

What exactly does everyone mean by "bomb the house"? What exactly do you use? Is the Adams Flea and Tick mist safe for greys?

Well, after just going through this about 3 weeks ago, with a bad flea infestation - both DH and I were getting bit, and he never gets bit, here's what we did:

After coming here and asking for advice too, we did buy the Adams Flea and Tick, which I sprayed the bedding insides, carpets, etc. Every day I was washing bedding and blankets, as well as Opie's coats he wore, and jammies. Then there was the vacuuming - daily for the first week, then every few days (reminder to self - vacuum again today!).

For Opie, we went to the vet, cuz he was covered in fleas and dark coffeelike granules (flea poop!) We had flea bathed him, and all was back within a few days. We went with the Comfortis pills. (1X a month) There was a discussion on that product here too, and while some didn't want to use it, is has been around since 2006, and many people here swore by it. We tried it, and it truly worked wonders. The fleas start dying almost immediately. Vet told us to wait a day before bathing again to give them a chance to die. With this product you can bathe the dog, unlike with the topical stuff.

As far as "bombing the house", I am sure there are many opinions, but this is one thing I would never do unless I could move out for a few weeks, and it was a totally empty house. We have birds, so this is always an issue. But in my mind, anything that you have to leave the house for, but in 2 hours its supposed to be OK is not something I want to breath in. People have died using these product because the didn't leave the house. It coats every surface in the rooms - walls, counters, everything. Yuck!

Bottom line - so far we are doing OK with the flea problem. No fleas or poop on dog, and no bites on humans.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Guest littlesyd85

I use Advantage on all my pups and my 2 indoor cats. A flea could easily jump on my in the yard and fall off in the house. If my cats weren't treated then they would be a yummy target. The Advantage will kill the fleas. I wouldn't bomb the house!

I forgot to mention, if you have cats do not use Advantix (for flea and tick) on your dogs. It is not safe for cats. Even if you aren't putting it on them... If you dog roles over on something or rubs against some furniture within the first 12 hours that it has been put on them then the cat could easily lay in the same place. It just isn't worth it.

Edited by littlesyd85

Guest KungPaoKat

Thanks so much for all the replies! The vet treated Monroe and both cats with Frontline, and I picked up a bottle of Adams today for the bedding/house/etc. I'd prefer not to bomb if possible because besides the animals, I have 2 small children.

Guest Energy11

Thanks so much for all the replies! The vet treated Monroe and both cats with Frontline, and I picked up a bottle of Adams today for the bedding/house/etc. I'd prefer not to bomb if possible because besides the animals, I have 2 small children.

Good Luck! Sounds like you are on the right track!