Potty Training

Guest brandi007

Guest brandi007

Picture1259.jpg

Hello All!

Brandi and Bean-face here again with our on-going growling and bathroom issues.

Hannah's issue of the day today is Pooing in the house when we're not home.

Hannah's what we like to refer to in my house a "Poo-Ninja." She's silent, never makes a noise (unless she's growling), and is black which adds to the whole stealth factor. She can sneak downstairs, crap on the floor and be back up without you even noticing until that familiar waft of last night's internally-processed dinner hits your nostrils and makes your eyes water.... I'm sure in some past life she was world champion of leaving flaming poo-bags on people's doorsteps and disappearing into the night before they even knew what was happening!

We've curbed this issue by gating her out of the basement (the favored area of 'deposits') and asking every few hours if we have to go "Pee Pee". We've done the positive pee to the point that if you so much as whisper the words pee pee she starts running around in circles, dancing, leaping in the air and throwing whatever is closest around (usually a nice shoe of mine). It's her favorite word in the world and I'm sure she'd love nothing more in life than for me to whisper it in her ear 24/7. So, needless to say we've pretty much been able to curb the pooing at home when we're home with the combination of a baby-gate, which even with her ninja-like skills she can't seem to navigate around, and regular bathroom breaks - god forbid she breaks her ninja-code of silence to ask to go out.

What our problem is, is pooing when we're not home. Not only does Hannah poo on the carpet when we're not home - she poo-walks like some kind of Egyptian from the 80's leaving some grotesque cookie-crumb trail right from the door to the stairs, or if it's upstairs from the Television to the couch. Oh how I wish these were cookie crumbs!

We tried crating her for a while but she just poo'd in her crate and made a wicked stinky mess of herself and her mum's at work work living space. So now she's being locked in my bedroom all day which curbs the whole issue of pooing in the house (she prefers living rooms) but adds the problem of being locked in my bedroom all day which is starting to get hot and upsets Sophie, who expresses her displeasure by peeing in my closet.

How do I go about breaking her of her home alone habits? Any suggestions would be a god-send......

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Tough one. I would say housebreaking 101 with her being tethered to you while you are home. Yes I know you want to know about what to do when you are gone, but I dont think she really comprehends the difference between you home and gone when she eliminates in the house, other than its easier to do without you there keeping an eye on her. I would take her out every hour you are home, and treat when she poos, since you say she already has no problem with #1. Also, have you had a worm test done on her poo? She may have worms and that could be contributing to the problem. Sorry, these are the only things I can think of right now.

Chad

How long are you gone? Have you tried a mid-day walk? I am wondering if she just can't hold it that long? Or if you might need to adjust your schedule so she gets to poop right before you leave the house so she doesn't need to go.

Are you babygating her in the br or shutting the door? Maybe a babygate would keep her in the room and not pooping, but would leave Sophie less upset I'm assuming that Sophie is either separated from her and upset for that reason or doens't like being confined. If it's the former, the babygate might address it. If it's the latter, I'd try leaving Sophie out of hte bedroom but using the babygate and see if that helps.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I just thought of something else, do you free-feed? Reason I ask is because if you feed on a regular schedule, then the poops will also tend to follow said schedule. If you are free-feeding, I would stop and set a schedule of when you feed so that the elimination follows a pattern. Good luck.

Chad